Thursday, June 26, 2008

Day 4.b

Have decided to make this a 'shopping day'. Heading to Dillard's in Stockton - I need new bras and almost ordered them last night - but waited - and now think 'well, I can save 13.95 in shipping and just go get them. Also will finally (FINALLY) visit the new jjill store (also in Stockton) and make a return. Possibly stop by Trader Joe's (in Stockton!) and pick up Te Java to have handy...might skip TJ's 'cuz we're pretty well stocked up - but they have a lot of 'natural' snacks - soy crisps, etc. - and I do love those. Will probably find a Target and get an electric skillet.

My sister emailed me to remind me that there are lots of recipes for SR bread that call for the starter to have potatoes in it - yes, it's true. POTATOES. I've been avoiding those, on the theory that peeling, rinsing and thinly slicing potatoes is just TOO much work - but then again, this entire bread making process is a lot of work - so I should try every starter possible. I will also stop at the grocery and get some white potatoes and try that starter method as well tonight. The recipe she sent me shows promise - because it doesn't mention anything about 'foam' or 'bubbling'. So possibly, whatever the potatoes do in the starter is 'enough'. We'll see. I'm going to give it a try tonight. Which will make tomorrow really hectic if one or more of the starters work right.

She also reminded me of another taste from our childhood - poppy seed kughen. I'm going to start researching that next. It's another really complicated baked treat - and I do remember it! and can't wait to give it a try.

I will be spending money today but hopefully, will 'spend' less than I would have lost on the slots. And then hope the starter works so I won't feel tempted to head to Jackson tomorrow. The only day 'open' I could go next week is Thursday - have lunches planned on Monday and Tuesday, the bakery trip with J. on Wednesday. Holiday on Friday. The lunches will be great fun with two people I rarely get to see these days. So I'm happy to 'commit' chunks of those days to drive to Manteca (Monday) and Pleasanton (Tuesday) to visit good friends! And Wednesday will be spent with my best friend, who I happen to have the joy of being married to!

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...