Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Day 3.b

I'm taking a night off from the starter. Have so many 'recipes' to try - not sure which one to give a shot next? I went to the Linens and Things store again to buy an electric skillet (another method for warming the starter) and ended up buying a warming tray instead. The only skillet they had was really pricey (even on clearance) and the warming tray should do the trick? and if not, it will be used at Thanksgiving and Christmas for keeping the sweet potatoes and green bean casserole warm. If it doesn't work, then I'll go to Target to buy a skillet and try that, too. Heck, maybe I'll go get one tomorrow and then I can try THREE starters tomorrow night - one with the crock pot method; one with the warming tray and a third with the skillet? Maybe multiple recipes at a time is the right approach? Otherwise, it feels like I'm running out of time.

I keep reminding myself I still have 11 days left of vacation - though it's going by quickly. And I'm not being quite as 'productive' as I'd hoped, but I'm not being too hard on myself about that 'cuz I am on vacation and trying to 'relax' a bit is the idea. I have 'cooked' every night this week so far - made easier by our stock up trip to Costco this past Sunday - and my motivation to clear out the freezer in preparation for next Wednesday's trip to the bakery in Berkeley for real, ready-made salt rising bread!

I haven't napped the past couple days and it's now just approaching 9 and I'm pooped. We're watching The Mole which we taped on Monday. I don't like the new host as much as Anderson Cooper - and it's not just the appearance part. This guy just isn't 'real' enough for me - he just doesn't have a 'likable' personality? Hard to describe...but I don't really like him and that's made it hard for me to get 'into' the show this season.

H. and I drove to Foster's Freeze for some ice cream - he had an Oreo Blizzard and I had a chocolate dipped vanilla cone. Yummy! Probably cost us an extra 2 bucks for gas but oh well! We were craving soft serve and it was closer than the mall. B. was at band practice or he would have come with us! Summer time is the best time for soft serve!

J. is cleaning off the DVR recorder on the satellite box and we're 'arguing' over what stays vs. what goes. He has a zillion 'talking head' programs. I have a zillion Datelines, etc. We've cleared nine hours of time which should get us through the next week. It's likely that most of what we've taped down here, we've also taped somewhere upstairs. Still, we have this discussion weekly. What goes. What stays. We're not willing to part with the Tim Russert tributes, and this DVR unit is from the guest room upstairs and I have some David Letterman shows saved - the one the night after his son was born - which I'll never erase - seeing someone forever changed by their first child in front of millions of people is something you don't see very often and made me love his curmudgeonly self even more than I already did. And the Mad About You finale which is also a 'forever' show. I keep thinking they'll release it on DVD - but they only released Season 1 - and then a 'compilation' DVD - that's it. Of all the shows I covet, I want that entire series...and I can't for the life of me figure out why they never released it. I wish they would. It would give J. birthday and Christmas gifts for me for quite a few years.

B. just got home and is playing golf at 7 in the morning. I said 'you guys are crazy'. He said 'no, Mom, we're golfers'. Enough said. They're hooked on the game (he and his best friend) and it's nice they've played a lot this month. The pass expires on the 30th and B. is going to try to earn some money to pay for another pass for July.

OK - enough for today. The birds are chirping which means it's time for sleep!

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...