Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Day Before He Turns 24

H. told J. 'I think Mom forgot my birthday'.  J. asked him 'why do you think that?'  and added 'you came out of her womb, H..  Trust me, she hasn't forgotten'.

I hadn't forgotten.  I just never see him these days - we are ships passing in the night.  I texted him this afternoon with a cheery 'H!  You are 24 tomorrow!  What do you want for your birthday?'

He called me (later) to tell me that he and R. (yes, a new member of the 'family' albeit vicariously) had a chance to head to Tahoe tonight and return Friday.  Their friends are in a timeshare for a week but R. is heading to Arizona with her family on Saturday (for a week) so she has to get back.  They were heading to H.'s school so he could take the final he has tomorrow - they apparently have a testing zone for students who can't make it at the time scheduled - so he went to take tomorrow's final today.  I hope this goes OK.  Otherwise, he just blew off a final.

We gave him a generous gift of birthday money - not an insane amount but enough for some fun in Tahoe and then reminded him to save enough to buy a PS4 game he wants.  The amount we gave is 'it' - no other gifts will be procured.  I asked if he wanted a cake over the weekend and he suggested we bake some cookies - I think I can wedge that in.

I worked all weekend and most of the day Monday on budget stuff and felt reasonably good - but Tuesday and today were filled with a bunch of other 'stuff' - and I dove back in to budget late this afternoon and realized just how much I still have to do - so tomorrow and Friday (and all weekend long - including the holiday) are very likely going to be filled with more budget stuff.  Oh well.  I'm hoping I may be able to place myself in lock down mode tomorrow to plow through - but there are always interruptions.

I don't feel nearly as exhausted as I remember feeling last year so that's good.  Maybe my morning vitamin and CoQ10 are helping - I feel like they are.  I've been raving about CoQ10 - such a huge difference in my energy level, focus and concentration.  Huge, huge improvement in all - good thing 'cuz I need it.

So J. and I are empty nesters for the next 48 hours or so...feels nice to not be 'on edge' about who's here; who's staying for the night; who's arriving late.  This morning when I came downstairs, I went to the kitchen and got my coffee going - then rushed to take Chloe out.  I kept hearing something...couldn't figure out what it was - someone had been downstairs within 40 minutes before and started a load of laundry.  It's just a weird vibe these days - we honestly rarely see H. and when we do?  He's rushing back up to the Love Shack.

Hopefully this time next month, she will be in her own apartment and at least she won't be spending the night here all the time.  Or at least I hope not.  I think we will set that expectation - not that I'd mind on occasion?  But not every night.

We can't wait to be empty nesters again -

Survivor finale is on so I'll sign off for now.



No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...