Saturday, May 13, 2017

More Springy!

Over the past few years, J. and I have been adding some drought resistant plants to our backyard landscaping.  We've had years of waiting for things to really be filling in well.  Our gardener's errant help hasn't helped - just last month, they killed two new seedlings in the garden.  The only explanation is his help turns over so quickly and he can't train them fast enough.  The plants we are buying are small and it can take at least a year (sometimes two or even three) before it's clear what's showing isn't a weed or grass of some kind.

We're starting to see the results - more pictures soon because the beds are full of beautiful, flowering plants that are attracting all sorts of birds, butterflies, hummingbirds, etc. to the yard.

Here are today's faves:


Last year, I tossed a bunch of wildflower seeds into this section of the yard.  It was in a moment of irritation with the gardener (who's team had just weed whacked a bunch of new plants).  The seeds were paid for and I figured it couldn't hurt to try.  For a year, the area looked like it was full of weeds. The plants grew and we did pull out things that we were sure weren't going to flower - obvious grass shootings and the usual weeds we see.  And finally - FINALLY - a few weeks ago, we say the first blooms.  The California poppies came first and have been followed by all sorts of other flowers.  It's what I see when I look out the kitchen window and I love it!!

And then this morning, this guy joined the team.  We've had tons of blue jays, lots of sparrows, a dove couple and now a Robin!  I'm so excited!!


We'll take some more pics of the other flowering plants that are blooming this year for the first time but for now, I must head to work.  It's that time of year.  My boss implored me to try to take a day off this weekend (after a hellish week of us torturing each other on a variety of issues.  We came to an impasse on Thursday and acknowledged that we have to challenge each other because that's what our jobs and our roles in the district are all about...but it was a hard, long week and I'm glad it's over).  I might try to be off tomorrow for Mom's day but we'll see.  I told my boss 'I'd rather work earlier in the month as much as possible if it means I will have less panic later in the month as the deadline looms closer'.

It is Mom's Day tomorrow but the son who lives here basically has a 'wife' who keeps him on a short leash - we rarely see him.  They do their own thing - though they did treat us to dinner last night which was nice.

Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work I go -




No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...