Thursday, June 26, 2008

Day 4.c

Stockton is regarded as the Central Valley's 'Oakland'. True, there are many not-so-great parts of Stockton. But there are plenty of not-so-great parts of any town. In fact, an article in our local paper referred to a neighborhood in our town as 'little Oakland' - guess that means high crime, heavy gang activity, etc. Every town has some 'little Oakland'.

But Stockton is really working hard on upgrading that image - and today, I visited a truly upscale shopping center right in the heart of Stockton. Across from their one mall...near their community college (which I keep watching for job opportunities just in case). There was a jjill, Coldwater Creek, Talbots, R.E.I., and other soon to be open high end retailers. I saw a lot of Mercedes, a Jaguar and tons of high end SUV's. And women with a lot of bling and time on their hands. I made my return and then succumbed to the clearance sale - returned $47. Spent $88. Oh well.

Went to Dillard's and bought makeup - my DHC powder foundation is almost out - I bought as many as I could when they discontinued it 18 months ago and sadly, they still have not come out with a powder foundation alternative. I've tried their 'water based' foundation and it feels like an oil slick on my face within an hour of application. So I went back to Lancome, which is the powder foundation I always used before DHC and had a lovely young lady help me find a foundation that is better suited for my coloring. I showed her the one I used to wear - Lancome was it for me before I discovered DHC - and she said 'wow, that's really light - it's what I'm wearing'. She had skin like a porcelain doll - beautiful and very, very light. I'm ruddier now, I guess. So we think we found one that will work - it's not 'perfect' in terms of comparing it to what I have now - I showed her my last DHC refill and said 'this is it. The last one. I'm approaching panic 'cuz I don't know what I'm going to do when I use this one up'. She said 'don't worry, we'll find something.' And we did. Bless her heart.

Headed to the 'foundations' department, ready to put down a chunk of change for several bras. Found only one in the size and style I needed. Asked if there was back stock - no. I think there was - she just didn't want to take the time to look. Oh well. I order a couple more via the Internet momentarily.

Had lunch at the Mr. Pickles sandwich shop near the mall. It was pretty good. A Mr. Pickles just opened up here and we keep saying we should go there, but we never do.

On the way home, I noticed a blue Highlander. He passed me. I passed him. He was changing lanes, going in and out of traffic. Seemed a bit 'erratic' to me. He was in front of me, and I noticed the license plate - and then REALLY noticed it - and pulled up along side and then in front of him - and sure enough, it was my boss! He ended up behind me and I waved into my rear view mirror and he waved back and held up his hands like 'finally!'. He exited at an exit several ahead of where I exit - so I figured he was heading home to the hills - or grabbing a bite to eat. Next thing I know, he's behind me again. So as we turned onto the street heading into our part of town, I called his cell. I said 'you did realize it was me waving to you on the freeway back there, right?'. He said 'yes, and you did realize it was me acting like a maniac trying to get your attention back there on the freeway, right?' We got a good laugh when I said 'no, I just thought you were a crazy driver - and THEN I realized it was YOU.' We had a brief conversation, got caught up on work things and he isn't sure if he's working tomorrow or not - so I probably won't see him until the 14th. (There's a potluck tomorrow and we're all attending). He had spent a whirlwind few days in Cleveland with his brother - they went to a Giant's game and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and somewhere else I can't recall. He had a great time. And he's off for another two weeks - he's back on the 14th. I'm back on the 7th. It was good to talk to him 'cuz he left sort of abruptly and at first, I was worried something was wrong. But it was just a great opportunity to spend some time with his brother and he jumped at the chance.

It was a fun afternoon. The kids are watching some war movie. I have a post in mind about the military careers they are both considering but I'm not sure how to phrase it, exactly. Anyway, they are watching a movie and B. has agreed to take H. to his ortho appointment which is at 3. I might - MIGHT - attempt to wedge in nap. Chloe jumped off the couch (which she is NOT supposed to do 'cuz it will hurt her back eventually, like it did Dani) and is now curled up on the floor next to me - where I am, so is she.

I'm going to go get potatoes and start getting ready for tonight's starter activities. I didn't buy an electric skillet so we'll just try two methods. Maybe 3 - I found some hints about using an electric oven - set it for 250 degrees for 20 minutes, then shut it off and leave the light on. We'll see if that works.

OK, sounds of machine guns and screaming are NOT pleasant. I'm heading upstairs for a bit while they watch people killing each other. Now that's entertainment.

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...