Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Day 2.a

First SR Bread starter a complete and total bust. Trying same recipe, different method of warmth containment later today. At one point last evening, I realized the temp had gone up to 120 - thus killing the bacteria that cause the reaction that raises the bread. So I was pretty sure it wasn't going to work - and I was right. It did not.

And I may have messed up the 'scalding milk' part - but I think I have that down now. Came close to ruining a pan but letting it soak with baking soda on the bottom did the trick.

Need to go to the store to get another carton of whole milk - perhaps fat free would work but the recipes all just say 'milk' so I'm trying not to take any chances with that. May try two starters and two methods of warmth later.

Also considering trying our wok since it has a temperature guage vs. 'warm/low/medium/high'. Might work. I'll keep you posted.

Work email is down which I think is God's way of saying 'let it go'. Though oddly enough, I do have one thing I must email today....but I'm sure it will be up and running at some point today.

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...