Sunday, June 29, 2008

Day 7.a

This morning's starter was a bust, also. While I took the time to ensure the water in the electric skillet was holding steady at 110 degrees, I failed to factor in that more heat would be required to keep the contents of the batter bowl at that temp. It was a steady 100 degrees. A 10 degree difference has a significant impact on the fermentation process. So, it was a 'no'. I've started another one already - but it's not going to work either, I fear. It's recipe called for 1 cup scalded milk with 1/2 cup corn meal - and it's basically a congealed, solid mass already. So how is it supposed to 'bubble'? I don't get that. Still, I'm leaving it to warm while we're at church. Can't hurt, I guess.

I've corresponded with Susan Brown, one of the foremost experts on SRB. Her website shows a lot of the history of this bread - made when yeast was not as readily available so women learned to create bread without yeast. She is one of the 'stars' of the Expert Village video series (her blog has link to that as well) and she graciously (and quickly!) responded to my plea for info from an expert. She has reassured me that my 'methods' sound OK - so it's just a matter of getting to a successful starter - and that requires patience. Tons of it, as this week has demonstrated. She encouraged me to keep trying and thinks it's great that I'm so determined, I'm using my VACATION to attempt to conquer this bread's mysteries. I am determined ....but it is hard to have failure after failure after failure.

I only tried one starter last night - I was so confident that the skillet would work - and it is (so far) the most consistent method of retaining heat on the starter. So I'm still confident it will work - I just have to do some 'hit and miss' attempts. And I'm going to return to the starter recipe Susan gives on her videos...there are so many different starters out there, but she's had success with the one she provides on the videos and I'm going to stick with that, for now. It seems 'easier' - and makes sense because it results in a more 'liquid' starter - thinner consistency - vs. the ones I've been doing that end up looking like polenta. How in the world will a polenta-like substance ever 'ferment', which is what needs to happen for the starter to take off.

Her website is here: http://home.comcast.net/~petsonk/ Check it out! And Susan, thank you so much for writing back and for taking the time to reassure me that my methods sound OK. It's so great to have the videos to refer to - and now, to have a real, live person who successfully makes this bread on a regular basis is also just terrific! I appreciate the encouragement and certainly hope to be added to the list of people on the planet who can make this delicious bread.

We are heading to church shortly. If the starter that's going actually 'works', I'll be baking into the night - and I have absolutely no problem with that. I'll do whatever it takes!

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...