Saturday, June 21, 2008

Lotion

So, finally - vacation. Ahhhh! I am having to 'pop in' this weekend 'cuz I left for the day before I was able to undock my laptop and I need to tidy my desk. But, I am 'off' for two weeks officially. It almost didn't happen since a co-worker (who reports to me) was in the hospital this week - but she was discharged yesterday and called to say she's feeling like she will be able to work at least a few hours to handle the three absolutely critical deadlines she has in her world next week - so that's a good thing. And I'll be on standby should help be required. I also will go in on Friday for our monthly potluck - couldn't really miss it since it's for June birthdays and I'm one of those. Tried to say 'oh, no big deal, just go ahead without me' - but they would have none of that. So I'll go enjoy a nice lunch....as I head into my 2nd week off!

Here are things that have happened this past week that amused me:

I get home yesterday afternoon and head to my computer. J. is working behind me. He takes one of the kids to run an errand and when he returns, he comes over to give me a nuzzle. I like nuzzles. I especially like them from my hubby. However, I was in the middle of a hot flash and suffering mightily from it being over 100 degrees outside, 83 inside (we are getting so chincy on A/C, it's impressive, really), and I was hot. HOT. So he comes over to give me a 'love nuzzle' and I say 'oh, honey, why do you always get lovey dovey when I'm hot'??? And he says 'because you're HOT'. I thought that was sweet. I can still get his motor running, even after all these years. That's love, folks.

This morning, I found hand lotion in the shower again. I'd say two kids have too much time on their hands. Enough said. I just shake my head, mumble under my breath about 'I'm no prude but can't they hide the evidence?' and put it back in the cabinet where it belongs.

B. has been helping with some backyard cleanup - and he was outside yesterday sweeping the patio and cleaning out trimmings from the shrubs, etc. with his shirt off. It just really hit me that he's a 'man', really. I don't know why that simple thing - him doing yard work with his shirt off - hit me so strongly, but it did. My little boy's all grown up. Time goes so quickly, which I try to remember 'cuz while 7 more years of work seems like a long time, I know it really isn't.

This isn't amusing, but I'll share it anyway. As with so many of us, our retirement savings is far, far less than it was a year ago. It's shocking. And I try not to stress over it - or worry too much. We're buying low - that's what I tell myself. And it's true. But wow, is it hard to fathom what's happening with our economy lately. And it's pretty darn scary. J. has a few stock options - not a gazillion - we don't have gold plated faucets or anything like that. But we have some that we've held onto for years - held and held because we didn't need the $$ and why not hold them. But now, those options are basically worthless. And it's likely they will rebound within the next 5 months before they expire. Bummer. I know that's a 'nice' problem to have - but it irks me that we gambled too long and lost $$. Who would have thought?? I never would have imagined this time a year ago those options would be underwater in terms of value. But they are.

I shopped at Safeway twice this week trying to buy the $50 of groceries needed to get 10 cents off per gallon - didn't quite make it on my first trip but figured 'well, we'll need a few more things in a few days and I'll reach it then'. So I spend another $35 there on Thursday only to find out that no, it isn't a cumulative offer - it's $50 per transaction that gets the 10 cents. So I've spend close to $80 on groceries and no discount. Bummer. I had to put gas in anyway 'cuz I was on fumes - $50 I put in on my birthday lasted 2 weeks, thanks to no trips to anywhere but work and home - and $30 was just over 6 gallons. Holy Crap! It's insane. And there's no end in sight. What scares me the most is we'll all get 'used' to it. I mean, gas prices have been increasing for years - and we all moan and groan about it, but we keep buying gas. And we keep driving cars that use a lot of gas. So what I'm most fearful of is that $5 or higher per gallon gas prices will become the norm. We'll just accept it. Won't change our habits, or our vehicles. That's what's historically happened.

So my vacation goals include: cleaning out closets, working on the yards, culling out stuff in the office, baking bread, going to Berkeley to buy bread that's only made on Wednesdays in case my attempt doesn't turn out well, hanging out by the pool a lot, taking more than a few naps, etc.

Our superintendent announced his retirement this past week - he'll be here another 14 months and I'm glad about that. He's a great asset to the district and will be missed. And change is always hard. So it will be an interesting time at work - even more so than usual 'cuz it's never dull and 'interesting' is a good word to describe things that happen there.

Time to head outside into the blistering heat to soak the flower beds so Brooks can pull weeds more easily when it cools off this evening. H. just returned from a sleepover. He heads back there in a couple hours for the continuation of the birthday party at John's Incredible Pizza. B. should be home from an overnight shortly also. J. plays at church tomorrow so that will take up our morning. But hey, that's fine with me 'cuz I have nothing but open time for the next couple of weeks. Can't wait. Plan to wedge in a few lunches with friends as well! And take the boys to the 'big' mall. And possibly San Francisco, too.

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...