Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Camp

Son #2 is at camp this week - a sort of unexpected, short notice opportunity to go to a great Christian camp with friends for 1/2 price. Church had already paid for the slots and then kids backed out (I think I probably already mentioned that but I'm too lazy to go out of 'writing mode' and into 'reading mode' to see if I told you that already. It's getting harder and harder to remember things I might have already said so if I'm repeating myself, sorry. I'm getting older and my brain is mush). I digress.....

OK, so son #1 is home, not that we'd know it. Haven't seen much of him the past few days. He DID bring me a Subway sandwich at lunch, probably because I sort of hinted (strongly, as only a mother can do) that 'I haven't seen you in DAYS and gee, I'm really hungry and hey, you're not really doing anything right now so how about you get a $20 out of the drawer and I'll buy you lunch, too' - so he did. We didn't eat together ('cuz eating with your mom in her office isn't cool, apparently, especially when you used to attend the schools she is now working for and you might actually run into a former teacher or something) but I did get to see him for a few minutes. I arrived home to find him gone again - music lesson and band practice. If tonight is like last night, I'll be heading to bed before he gets home and might see him in the bathroom on my way to get water or something.

Chloe is holding down the fort. I'm trying to run her ragged a bit so she'll be tuckered out. She's been 'fetching' her toys for me to toss for the past 20 minutes - but her tongue isn't hanging out yet so she's not tired enough. Must keep tossing.

J. is getting gas at Costco on the way home so it will be a chicken Caesar salad for dinner.

I have been in my office by 6:30AM everyday the past week or so. It sounds hard and yet, it's surprisingly easy. I was thinking on my way in this morning 'wow, if I could have gotten out of bed as easily back in the days of commuting to Livermore, I never would have minded the commute'. But I couldn't ever be out the door by 6 like I am most mornings now (driving to the closest Starbucks takes 1/2 hour round trip. I know - it's insane. But it's a 'treat' that makes a difference for me so I do it - 'cuz I'm worth it). I have worked 22 of the last 23 days and am not done yet...so if good, strong iced tea makes it easier for me, that's what I'm doing. I head up to bed around 9ish. Do my evening routine - feed cats, feed bird, clean face, moisturize face, de-wrinkle face and watch a little TV and then sleep for 6 hours. Up around 4. I wake up on my own and just get up. Good thing since it's a really busy time at work and I'm swamped.

We haven't heard from H. and don't expect to. Cell phones don't work there and email is limited. I sent him an email to the camp office so he'd at least hear from us. But his communication is limited at best, anyway. On Sunday, a couple of hours after J. dropped him off, J's phone beeped with a text from H. I was so glad - thinking 'oh, he needs something or wants to ask something'. No. The message was 'hey'. That's it. Just 'hey'. And J. wrote back and said 'where are you'? Answer: 'on the bus'. NO KIDDING. To say he's a kid of 'few words' is an understatement. That's the last communication we've had. A friend at work sends her kids to this camp every year and says they have an absolute BLAST. Paint ball, ropes course, etc. I'm sure he's having a great time. The house is quiet and so much easier to keep relatively picked up. Turns out B. is fairly good about picking up after himself - while H. is just a cyclone. So without him here, things are 'neater'.

I do miss him - it's quiet around here without him. It's giving us a slight preview of what life will be like in 3 years when they're both out of the house. J. and I will sit around and stare at each other a lot wondering what to talk about. It will be an adjustment. All the quiet. And also buying dinner for two for under 10 bucks and having leftovers to boot! I think we'll get used to that.

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...