Wednesday, June 04, 2008

48

I am 48 years old today. Yikes. Or ugh. Not sure which is more appropriate. Maybe 'yeah' is good. OK, so 'yeah' it is!

My 40's have been my best decade ever. I have been happier in this past decade than ever in my life, largely due to leaving condo hell and having a real home. My favorite place on earth, which I know you know 'cuz I say it here all the time.

I awoke at 3:30 this morning to find a lovely card from hubby on my computer - the card had a retirement theme to it. 'Picture this: You and I, years and years from now, cruising along some coastal highway with the top down, stereo blasting, the wind whipping our hair. Whatever we want to do, we do it. No agenda. No schedule, nobody else to worry about. We travel the country, buying silly T-shirts and sending postcards, stopping at tiny roadside cafes in search of the world's best blueberry pie. No hurry. No rush. Relaxing in the comfort of a lifetime of companionship. You and I....lovers, friends, partners on this road of life. Happy Birthday'.

Isn't that the best card EVER? And I'd only edit it to just say 'years from now' since it's not really 'years and years' away...and that's a nice thing to think. And probably change the word stereo to 'iPod blasting' 'cuz that's what we'll be playing. Setting up 'trip lists' of road tunes before we depart.

I can't wait for the next 48 years. Truly cannot wait.

But, work beckons so I need to get a move on. Thank goodness the card also included a Starbucks gift card. I have been trekking across town this week to get my daily iced tea ration. Need it with 12 hour workdays over and over and over.

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...