Thursday, January 31, 2013

Moving Preview

Moving.  One of life's stressors.  J. and I both vividly recall moving out of our condo and moving to this house as several of the most exhausting days we have ever experienced in our lives....and for me, that includes having pushed two humans from my body.

H.'s move isn't at all like that.  He hasn't 'packed' anything, really.  He culled out his closet and dresser and will probably transport clothes (hangers and all) in garbage bags to the apartment.  We could walk to his apartment, really - across a vacant field and over a fence.  And even walking there along sidewalks (the long route) is pretty short.

I think it's different when you know your parents are 5 minutes away and anything you leave behind, you can pick up whenever you need to - and raid the pantry and/or do laundry at the same time!

I am making lists of things to get for them - cleaning supplies, etc..  J. says 'they don't need any of that stuff 'cuz they probably won't clean'.  Um, they signed a six month lease and they paid a cleaning deposit - and they can't live like pigs.  There will be a counter that needs wiping and a floor that needs sweeping at some point.

I'm also going to put down shelf paper in the kitchen cupboards and drawers - something they probably won't like (I'm using shelf paper we have on hand - it's not too 'frilly' but it's also not sports helmets and guns so that right there makes it 'girly').  I just can't not do it - it's what you do when you move into a house.

They need silverware trays, salt and pepper shakers, etc..  A Swiffer dry/wet mop to 'sweep' the floor now and then.  We have an old vacuum they can have which will allow them to vacuum the carpets now and then.

J. and I went through the garage 'pantry' and put together a box of stuff - food storage bags, TP, etc..  Still a lot to shop for but trying to limit our cash out as much as possible. J.'s car has four brand new Michelin's on it and now H.'s car needs a new tire.  And we are getting our sliding door replaced today.  If it glides easily, it will be worth every penny - it's never been seated 'right' and it's a pain to open and close.  J. and I both have shoulder/elbow issues and I think that damn door is a big part of why.  So I'm hitting savings big time this month and anything we have around here to contribute to 'The Great Move of 2013' will help.

The week has been uber-busy and crazy and I come home exhausted and go up to bed just after 8.  It's all I can do to watch something off my DVR (to clear it a bit) before I'm falling asleep.  I'm still coughing and still have something 'off' in my ears and throat - but oh well.  I feel like 'croaky/congested' may be my new norm?

H. got a letter from B. and H. let us read it - they are starting to work on their weaponry and learning to shoot really big guns.  Exciting for them both 'cuz they love going to the shooting range....it was great to see B. writing to his brother.

He signed it:  'Peace, B.' .  And I think that's the perfect closing from one brother to another...guys who often feud with each other over stupid things.  'Peace' is a good way to close...and to start.  H. added a little note to my letter that we mailed yesterday so I'm hoping once the moving is done, we can encourage him to write a quick letter of his own back.

Well, the fire alarms at our school (in our neighborhood) are going off and I heard a fire truck....so I need to find out if anything's seriously wrong....and then get to work fixing it!  My boss is at a conference this week and at 6AM yesterday, he emailed me 'any leaks?' - 'cuz every time he's gone, something happens.  Gas leaks, etc.  So I'm hoping this isn't 'something'.

Though at least my crisis management skills will get a workout.  

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...