Sunday, January 06, 2013

Down One

Without much fanfare, I started 2013 making a personal commitment to some things that could be construed as 'resolutions'.  I don't want to call them that, though...'cuz this blog is living proof that most resolutions didn't pan out all that well.

I am drastically cutting back on my Facebook time - still checking in on a few games that I enjoy - but doing that morning and night, quickly, expediently and then moving on.  I love chatting with friends and family and won't give that up - ever.   I just don't want to spend time during my days off sitting here doing nothing - so I'm working hard on keeping busy.  I have a notepad here next to me and I jot down things I think of that need doing throughout the day - and I make the same effort to cross what I can off the list each day.  When I take Chloe out, I try to find a bush or shrub that needs pruning or something that needs doing - and I do it.  Admittedly, this is a small change - but for me, it's a big step to keep a running list of things I want to accomplish and work towards accomplishing them.

It's like not quite 22 years of being responsible for another person who is now out on his own has opened up brain cells and motivation nooks and crannies that have been occupied until now.

I spent last evening working on B.'s room!  Never more grateful for the power of 409!  And my Dyson vac.  Cleaned the surfaces of desks and tables - and then worked on vacuuming the floors near the baseboards.  Very, very dusty - confirmation that the cleaning crew didn't do a lot in that room 'cuz prior to B.'s departure, they could barely get into the room.  It is neat and tidy and now we work on the deep cleaning the room has needed for a really long time.

On Friday night, I worked on the guest room a lot, too....getting stuff bagged for Goodwill.  Could have beaten myself up about not doing this in time for 2012 donations but didn't go there - just kept plowing through and figured this will help our 2013 tax bill.  Old purses...panty hose!  Remember those?  Shoes...all kinds of 'stuff'.  I actually headed up to bed very early - but then got busy on culling stuff which was a great accomplishment for a Friday night!

We heard from B. via texts yesterday - he confirmed he got some phone time and used it to talk to friends - and I was glad he did that 'cuz I think he's missing folks.  He said he is seeing a lot of the 'funny stuff' he's heard about happen right before his eyes - and he misses my lattes.  Hopefully he's getting some sleep.  Basic Training officially starts next Friday - so I guess they keep them busy with other things between now and then.

I have The Weather Channel on my computer so I can check the weather at Ft. Benning daily - a small thing to make me feel like I know how is day is going.

I plan to head home daily at 4PM so that if he calls, I will hopefully be here for the call.

Time to head upstairs to get dressed and officially ready for a busy day.  Son #2 just asked to go shopping!  He needs more pants and likes the Levi's we just bought for him...so perhaps we will head to the big mall in Pleasanton and that will be a great reason to use the Cheesecake Factory gift card and have dinner there!  An early dinner - 'cuz tomorrow is officially the first day I MUST wake up by 5AM.  To accommodate leaving by 4PM everyday, I moved my meeting schedule to start at 7AM - more than 1/2 of my direct reports start their days by then - so that's the price I pay for an 'early' departure.

When he calls, it will be worth it.  We miss him....


No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...