Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Road to....

I started a post yesterday wherein I informed everyone that by the end of work day, I was unable to talk without ending with a choky, coughy mess. Choky isn't a typo.  It's also not a word - but it's accurate.  It's not croaky - it is really choking - can't keep talking or even breath because suddenly, you are seized with coughing so much - from tickles that come out of nowhere   So, so congested.  And my throat was a mess (again).  I was positive I was heading in the wrong direction and thought 'this is so not good'.  But I didn't publish it - decided it was too whiny to be readable.  I waited.

Yesterday passed with a whole lot of people saying 'OMG you sound HORRIBLE.  Why are you here?'.  And me replying 'this is a vast, huge improvement over the past few days and I am here because we have a board meeting next week and I have eight agenda items that are mine.  That's a lot.  Really a lot. I have tons to do'.  I wasn't feverish (anymore) and yes, I did sound horrible and didn't look all that great either 'cuz with no eye makeup (there was no point - first coughing fit and it would be down my face), I sort of just look washed out.  But oh well.  Beauty contestant is not a job requirement.

Here we are on Tuesday and I am joyous to say that I had a reasonably decent night's sleep last night - the first one in over a week!  Could be I found the right drug combination - took both a teaspoon of the wicked tasting codeine cough syrup [disguised in purple liquid - like we'll think 'Grape!' and it will taste yummy.  It's so awful] and a Benadryl (just one) and slept pretty well for at least five hours straight.  Then another two hours off and on.  One night of actual sleep made a world of difference and while I am still congested, a little coughy and definitely still sound 'stuffy' and under the weather (and am blowing my nose like crazy), I think I am officially 'on the mend'.  The Great Plague of 2013 is winding down - at least for me.  So happy about that.  It's been a long, long week.

I am repeating the same drug combo tonight.  I have also been giving myself a break and sleeping in until 6AM (VERY late for me)...but tomorrow, I am aiming for an earlier departure so hoping I can get up at least an hour earlier.  We'll see.  Sleep = Recovery - so I will sleep late if the quality of sleep isn't good.  Here's hoping it will be.

My boss took pity on my yesterday and said to me in a meeting (while we were on a 7 minute break) 'Hey, if you don't want to go to Sacramento with me tomorrow, I will go alone - I'll take notes' (it's a budget workshop).  I said 'That would be great, thanks!' so quickly, he sort of did a little startle reaction.  It could have been that I was sitting next to him during the 3 hour meeting, wheezing and trying so hard not to cough (impossible) that he decided riding anywhere with me in a closed car was unwise for HIS health.  But whatever!  I was glad to not have to get up uber-early and drive 1.5 hours north in the traffic and instead, spent the morning working on board prep.

I did get a lot done today - and enlisted my assistant's help on several things.  The quiet (no boss!) was lovely and it was a good day.

I arrived home just in time to say Hi to a long time family friend (I met him when J. and I were dating a quarter of a century ago and J. has known him much longer than that) as he and J. headed to Modesto Gallo Center for the Arts for a concert.  I am enjoying a quiet evening of no one here!  It's like a mini-vacation - I love time alone.  Always have!

And a double bonus - Zynga has apparently fallen off the planet and none of my games are working - so I've spent time going through work emails, clearing out things and making lists.  And sending a few emails to move other stuff forward....so that feels great.  An hour of effort lightened the load - or at least put the load in perspective and provided clarity - helpful.  I only play a couple games lately - and I am very quick - but oh well.  It's OK.  Plenty to do.  I do actually feel the teeniest bit of energy present - another thing lacking for over a week - so I should seize the moment!

I could unload the dishwasher.....but I'd rather play with the dog.


No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...