Friday, January 18, 2013

Pony Express

On Sunday evening, our soldier son let me know 'a letter is going out tonight with all the information including my address'.

It is now Friday.

On Monday, I knew to expect nothing.

On Tuesday, I had slight hope but understood when there wasn't any mail from him.

On Wednesday, I was disappointed and grumbling about 'are they sending it west on a bike'?

On Thursday, I was disgruntled and mumbling things like 'I could have driven to Georgia and back myself'.

Today, I am worried that he doesn't know how to address an envelope - or they can't read his writing - and the letter and all the info about graduation and parent's day that was to be included are sitting in a 'dead letter' bin somewhere between here and Georgia...

And we may never hear from him again.

Argh!

We miss him.....

J. talks about how 'well, there may be a big semi truck parked in the corner of the base and when it's full, it will pull out'.  I am incredulous at that...I mean really?  So if I put a letter in our mailbox, the post office waits until they have a full truck to Georgia before my letter starts moving?  Come on...really.  That's absurd.

And J. says 'it's the Army, honey.  It's not supposed to make sense'.

Great.

The week is over.  We are having fried chicken and frozen peach daiquiris for dinner.  I am going to enjoy more Downton Abby while my new antibiotics kick the ass of the microbes in my body.  This is day 15 of what started as just a little sniffle.

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...