Friday, January 04, 2013

First Day Back

I survived a short-ish day at work - attempting to undig my desk; prioritize projects; get things ready for Monday.  My issue is memory - hard to recall where I left off.  But little by little, it comes back.  The few times I've been away for an extended break, I think upon returning 'I can't be gone this long - it's too hard to remember all of it when I come back' - but it was lovely to be away and it will all come back to me.

The perfect end to a hard week and the perfect beginning to a weekend was a brief call from B. - they were given a couple minutes on their cell phones.  SO GLAD he took his phone with him!  He sounds very tired - but that is to be expected.  They arrived at the base around 11PM and spent 8 hours in 'processing' - sitting around, waiting for things.  Then breakfast and getting their day started.  He is tired but will get some sleep tonight, though he has to patrol the barracks at intervals so it will be broken sleep.

He said it's a 'huge shock' but then quickly confirmed he is doing fine, feels good about it and is 'proud' to be there....so relieved to know he is OK.  And I think the 'shock' is to be expected.  A lot of change in a very condensed time frame.  He said a couple times 'I miss you guys'...and we miss him, too. 

This weekend, we plan to enjoy a lunch or dinner at The Cheesecake Factory.  We have made great progress on organizational things that I want to keep working on - while my motivation is strong.  I plan to work at least a part of a day to continue starting to get things ready to delegate out on Monday.  I filled up my assistant's 'in' box (she doesn't work on Fridays) and have more ready to talk through with her.  A couple meetings scheduled to delegate additional items and before I know it, I'll be powering through the huge list of 'must-do's' that litter my desk. 

This week has been emotionally draining - and I'm easing into the weekend with a glass of red wine....which is lovely.  I am proud of B. - and know this is what he wanted. We miss him a lot but we know he's OK.  He will be fine -

I appreciate so much how my wonderful husband has my computer powered up; gets me wine when he confirms I'm interested; fixes dinner.  I love having him home!


No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...