Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Tides

The tides, they are a turnin'. That phrase keeps running through my mind. Certainly lots in our daily lives (politically) that speak to a change - I sure hope so. I'm so afraid of the outcome of the election, I can hardly handle thinking about it. It may look like a sure thing - but it's not a sure thing until it's done. So that pensive, scared feeling will continue for another three weeks...and this time, three weeks from now, we will hopefully feel 'better'.

There are changes at work, as well - and I'm thankful to say: they are for the better. Things are easing a bit. In all fronts. And I will offer this advice: communication is the key. That is the golden rule. I'm 48 years old and I'm still getting that message. Still having that learning. And that's not in any way an indication that it wasn't me (entirely) failing to communicate. It was a combination of things. And people. In general, many people say they want communication - but honestly, they don't. They want you to agree with everything they want; agree to everything they do. Want you to communicate as long as it's all 'great' stuff. But as any manager can tell you, it often times isn't 'great stuff'. It isn't. And sometimes, that's hard. It's hard setting the expectation and the 'norm' that says: we will communicate and sometimes, that communication is messy. And hard. And challenging. But we can't stop trying. We have to keep trying, over and over, until we get it 'right'. Or at least until we get it 'improved'. And that's happening. And it feels good. And I'm not too old to keep learning. Never going to stop learning. And that feels good, too.

I think things are greatly improving and I'm glad for that. Seriously happy about it. And I'm hoping things remain intact while I'm away for a week or so. And for the first time in 22 months, I'm reasonably sure things will be as good when I return as when I left today. And that's a huge difference. Huge. So pray for that for me, will 'ya? We all (my team and I) need that for each other - need to have that trust that things don't keep going 20 steps forward and 21 steps back - over and over. We are now making small steps forward daily and that is a wonderful thing. There is a bit of laughter these days - and that's really great 'cuz I've missed laughing. Really missed it. It's nice to have that back. And even nicer to think it may become a regular thing. That would be awesome.

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...