Sunday, October 19, 2008

Hitched

Having just paid $9.99 for what will be around 2 hours of Internet access, I think a post is in order - justifying the expense. We will be checking out shortly - heading to brunch with family, then a stop at my aunt's house, then a stop at the cemetery where my parents are buried then on the freeway heading to Hesperia, CA where we will dock for the night.

The wedding was a great success - they are officially married! Everything went great - it was a beautiful ceremony, filled with a lot of humor and laughter. All the things you'd expect from a couple who've 'been here, done this' a couple times and therefore, don't feel the need for the typical 'traditional' wedding. It was great! Followed by good food, a few refreshing beverages AND a trip to IKEA with my niece, H. It's just down the freeway and I couldn't resist the allure - the 'calling out to me' feeling. So she took me there yesterday. $109 later, we returned with 'stuff' that will easily fit in the car (thank goodness!). There was furniture, etc. that I would have loved to buy - a new coffee table for our family room would be lovely, and new kitchen chairs. But we don't have room for that stuff and I'll just have to make time to drive the hour+ each way to an IKEA near me sometime in the not too distant future. I also wanted to get a bunch of picture frames for our upcoming family photos, but decided to wait and see about sizes, etc.

Observations on Arizona:

It is frickin' hot here. It is mid-October but it was 95+ yesterday - it was hot! Yikes. I grew up here and don't remember it being miserable. But it was really hot and I just kind of wither in the heat, now.

They don't landscape here with grass. Stones, some desert shrubs. But no grass. Some people throw caution to the wind and have grass in their backyards. But rarely in the front.

The toilet in our hotel is not a 'low-flow' toilet. The first time I flushed and watched the water literally fill up the bowl, I was sure it was going to overflow. It didn't. I'm just not used to seeing water fill a toilet bowl upon flushing. That doesn't happen in CA. Guess they can use the water they're saving on lawns to flush.

It's been a great trip and we are already planning a return trip in late-June to hopefully spend some time at my aunt's summer cabin in Prescott. That would be a lot of fun!

I've got to get into the shower before the boys wake up and take over the bathroom.

More tomorrow when we're back home!

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...