Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Debate

I've never been one for watching the debates. Like when I was a kid (in the days of there only being three channels to watch), when I hear there's a debate on, I sort of let out a slight 'groan' - ridiculous in this day and age 'cuz there's 125+ other channels to choose from, or the Internet. Or sleep. Or cleaning the kitchen. A myriad of 'other things' that I could do if, indeed, there's nothing on TV I want to watch.

But this election cycle, I just feel there's so much at stake, I can't not tune in. So we watch. We love the 'meter' thing that shows how the audience is responding to the answers. I know others detest it - but J. and I are information junkies - and we like 'watching' the meter reads.

Obama won. No doubt. And I'm glad for that. And more and more relieved and convinced that he is what we - this amazing country that is struggling at the moment - he is what we need. I'm sure of it.

And just so we're clear - John McCain, you are not my friend. Quit saying 'my friends' a gazillion times. You look moronic to assume that every single person listening to you thinks of you as a friend. At least 1/2 of America doesn't feel that way about you. So it's sort of condescending, rude and presumptuous. Cut it out. And quit referring to Obama as 'that one'. I don't think you meant it racially - I doubt you did. But that's how it comes across. DON'T DO THAT. It's just wrong. It's the first rule of public speaking - engage people. Don't piss them off.

I can't wait for the next/final debate - and I must be getting old 'cuz I never thought I'd be looking forward to watching a debate.

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...