Saturday, October 04, 2008

Game

The football game/snack bar gig has kicked my butt. Seriously. There were close to 5,000 people there last night - and our lines were long ALL NIGHT. We don't open until 5 - but we started selling 'easy' things (candy, popcorn, soda) at 4 - and could have sold burgers, hot dogs and pizzas then as well, if we'd have them ready.

I am so sore today, I can barely move. And that same soreness kept me awake all night. I think I finally dozed off around 4AM - got up at 8:30. I'm still in my PJs and I just finished dinner - 'cuz I've been in bed off and on all day. Holy Crap. I cannot do this every other week and then take days to recover.

I think I've figured out the 'issue' - I just have to figure out how to implement the correction plan.

We sign up in shifts. I've always signed up for the early shift on the theory that I can come in around 4, help set up, work until 8ish and be done. And that would work - EXCEPT that it's so busy, and so many other folks don't show up on time, I keep working. And working. I was on my feet, moving heavy boxes, working the window, washing/scrubbing dishes, etc. for seven hours straight. And that was after I had arrived in my office at just after 6AM. I left work around 1:30ish, came home and tried to power nap for a bit (unsuccessful) and then grabbed something to eat at Quizno's (hadn't eaten anything but yogurt all day) and headed to the high school. The set up was a lot of work, but the time goes quickly. It's a fun group and we work well together - especially those of us on the set up shift.

I'm going to have to somehow, someway LEAVE at the end of my shift. I just have to. It irritates the heck out of me how some folks are showing up at 7ish or 8ish - and then they just work the windows until the game's over - while the rest of us - the same group of people who had set up the place - start cleaning up. Moving boxes into the store room; tearing down boxes into the recycle bin; putting away food; scrubbing heavy pans; taking down the soda machines and cleaning every nook and cranny to prevent ants. It was a hell of a lot of work - and I don't mind working hard. I DO work hard - as anyone in our club will tell you. But oh my gosh - I cannot do 7 or 8 hours of that - or I will pay for it, like I did today. I am so sore...so exhausted.

I just ate some sushi for dinner (J. picked it up) and I'm heading back upstairs soon. Hoping I can find one comfortable position that will let me sleep.

I will miss the next game 'cuz I'll be in Phoenix for my sister's wedding. I'm sorry to miss it - but secretly, relieved.

I arrived home at 10:30 - J. had fired up the hot tub (after I phoned to ask him to thinking a hot soak would help). I was basically walking by 'shuffling' - so sore, I could barely move. Dropped a friend off at her house - hot tubbed with the family for an hour (my patience for my children's hot tub conversation is limited - things like how they will 'better' discipline their kids by spanking them; H. wants a motorcycle....or a car....soon....; etc. . I finally realized it was no longer fun to listen to them and got out. Headed upstairs shortly after, got straight into bed - and did not sleep. Hips, feet, back, legs - ached and ached. Took ibuprofen - and was still in pain.

Tomorrow will be better.

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...