Saturday, October 25, 2008

Cooking

I shocked the heck out of the entire family by cooking a 'Sunday dinner' on a Saturday. I'm going through a 'live off the land' and 'don't spend any money' phase - so I cooked baked chicken, stuffing, broccoli and ...believe it or not...baked a devil's food cake. No occasion. Just had a cake mix and decided we didn't need a special occasion to bake a cake. It's Saturday and we were all home for dinner - isn't that special enough?

Of course, son #1 didn't bother to come downstairs and eat when we called him. And son #2 was at a friends house and came home after J. and I had already eaten. I think my cooking will 'draw' everyone together and create family moments. It doesn't. The only thing that would have gotten them together was if we'd gone out - and since I'm really buckling down on the expenditure budget, we are not eating out every weekend. Once a month - possibly twice. That's it. A night or two of pizza and Subway when I have a Board meeting or a late night. But our days of eating out weekly are over....for awhile.

The boys are both spending the night elsewhere. We have no plans tomorrow other than a trip to Costco and me continuing to work on my desk.

I have completely and totally done absolutely no work - never even went in for my laptop. Feels kind of good to have really taken a 'vacation'. Enjoyed my time at home just piddling around. No huge accomplishments but got a few things done. It was great to sleep in a bit each morning and spend time at home, alone.

I did the practical things and cancelled the Disneyland reservation. Didn't want to - but realized that going into debt is not the answer...and we actually have 'charged' a bit this month that we will have to carry for a few months - the family pictures, wedding trip, etc. - and that's my 'limit' on the revolving debt I'm willing to rack up. The economy is freakishly scary and I just can't handle the uncertainty....so practicality won out. I knew it would. I'm careful.

Last night was another snack bar night and J. graciously helped us out - we were short handed last night. It was fun - but exhausting. J. enjoyed it so much, he's volunteered for our next two games - in two weeks, and then another one the next week. If the team makes the playoffs, we'll be working an extra game or two. We've done a very good job and have raised a lot of money for the ASB athletics group fund for the high school. And we've had fun doing it. It's been great! I did leave after 4.5 hours yesterday - and felt a tad guilty but then thought 'hey, I brought another set of hands so that counts for 9 hours of contribution'. Someone said 'but M., it's half time' (as I was leaving). I said 'I know - but I'm not staying. I'm done'. I was getting stiff and sore and was positively determined to not repeat the agony of the last game. I didn't want to spend my weekend in bed. And I haven't - felt pretty good today - not too sore and have some energy.

I'm catching up on all the shows I've taped - watching Dirty, Sexy Money tonight. Heading to bed shortly. Tomorrow is errands, tidying up around here and preparing to return to work. Will be diving in head first Monday morning - much to do, as always,

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...