Sunday, October 12, 2008

Downtime

All day yesterday, I thought 'I will go into work tomorrow. I will go into work tomorrow. Tomorrow, I will go to work'. All day.

I got up around 7ish this morning...enjoyed a latte and started dutifully, and productively working on clearing my desk (I just typed clearning, which is a new word: the act of cleaning and clearing done simultaneously). Progress has been made, though I wish I could reconfigure this entire area. I just don't have the 'right' layout - but I did make some progress. H. spent the morning watching TV and shredding my shred bin stuff for me.

So around 11ish, it hit me. Holy crap! I am going to work today. Only at exactly the same moment, I also remembered, vaguely, an email that we received advising that our entire system would be down all day Sunday. If ever there was a God moment, this was one. Why I didn't remember that email yesterday, I have no idea - if I had, I would have worked yesterday. But, I didn't - truly, honestly had absolutely no recollection of the email - nor my the same email being forwarded to me by my boss (who apparently realizes that I do live at work, actually) - so I didn't work this weekend. Which is OK. Not great, but OK. What is there to be done will still be there tomorrow. And I will get to as much as I can in the next few days. Do as much as possible. I could even, theoretically, work on Wednesday afternoon (after running an errand with J. related to my sis' wedding which I can't tell you about something I have planned for her) and work most of Thursday since we aren't actually leaving town until the kids get home from school. So we'll see. There's still plenty of hours between now and 'vacation' to get stuff done.

I have a bit of a cold - just the annoying, runny nose, scratchy throat part. I took a nap today and slept like a log for a couple of hours, which is good.

I'm making Pasta Carbonara for dinner - not from a mix, either. From 'scratch'. I've decided to make cooking a 'hobby' - instead of eating out, I'll find some recipes and spend time cooking - usually on the weekends, and hopefully creating some leftovers to help us get through the week. I went to the supermarket where B. works and had the checker page him twice - to help me to my car. I am unclear about his work ethic - we stopped there last night when he was working and noticed him flipping (picture him tossing a drum stick (not poultry - the kind you play drums with) every item in the air, catching it and THEN bagging it - but he is well liked and the checker that helped me said he's doing a good job. Though he was having an 'off' day today - thinking too much about his band, apparently....which was news to me 'cuz I'd been under the impression the band was history. Maybe not.

H's girlfriend is here - she wasn't 'allowed' to come over for a very long time - and now she's here a lot. I'm fine with either. We keep going upstairs for 'no apparent reason' to ensure the doors are open, they are not necking in the playroom, etc. I don't know what they do - hang and go on MySpace and play Playstation, etc. I guess. They are 'chillin' which is what I'm told when I ask what they're doing.

Ok - heading to the kitchen to start cooking. Wish me luck. I'm hoping this is edible. I can cook. I just don't like to...but I'm going to learn.

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...