Friday, July 25, 2008

Randy

Randy Pausch died today. The author of 'The Last Lecture' succumbed to pancreatic cancer this morning at his home. His story was featured on 20/20 and his 'last lecture' can be seen on You Tube. It's a series of videos. When he found out he was dying, he wanted to leave something for his kids - who are very young and may not remember him. I bought the book and it is great. He was such a positive life force - just an amazing man. Someone that you feel you knew through his books and watching him on TV. I am sad for his family - but yet, I am glad for them, too. He and his wife had time to plan...time to say goodbye...time to realize what was happening and prepare for it as best they could. While still hugely sad and incredibly hard, I find a bit of comfort in that....hoping that if I were to be diagnosed with something really 'bad', it would give me time to wrap things up here on earth. Randy did that in such a meaningful way for his kids...and for his family. It's a beautiful book and will be on my 'keep forever' book shelf. If you ever get a chance to watch his interviews with Diane Sawyer, do. I suspect they'll be rerunning them again in honor and memory of him. He was an amazing man. You can read more about Randy at the Carnegie Mellon website (where he was a professor of computer technology) - www.cmu.edu .

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...