Thursday, July 10, 2008

Tori

It's a bit embarrassing to admit this, but I'm sort of into the latest in the Tori Spelling/Dean McDermott reality show series. I tried really hard to NOT watch it - I've watched off and on of the first two seasons. But I'm interested and once I start watching, I'm compelled to see what happens next.

I've always had a fascination with 'knowing how it all turns out'. Ask my husband. I rank movies based on the 'happy ending' factor - do we know for sure they got married and had a family? Do we know they ended up 'happily ever after'?

I'm not sure Dean and Tori will be happily ever after - not that I think they won't but who really knows? I do think they are surprisingly normal - trying to raise a family and make a living. Considering the wealth of her late father, it's surprising to me that she struggles with the things we all struggle with - buying a first home, how to afford the first home, how to keep affording the first home, how to stay happily married when you realize you are two entirely different, independent people trying to stay together forever. How to have hobbies that the other doesn't particularly enjoy and vice versa. It's interesting to 'watch' how their life is progressing. And I hope it turns out well. She does work incredibly hard - really, seriously. She is the 'commodity' in a lot of their business endeavors - which doesn't mean he doesn't work hard also - he does. They both do. He's trying to do voice over work so he can be home with the baby while she does her book tour. I've never been particularly impressed with either of their acting abilities - but they are hard working, good people - and it's interesting to see their latest mis-adventures. And successes.

It's not scintillating, 'can't miss' TV - but it's 'tape it on the DVR and watch it when there's nothing else to watch' TV and I enjoy it. It's fun watching her plan her son's first birthday party (which, granted, was an over-the-top affair with a monkey theme, including many live monkeys) and struggling with being 7 months pregnant and flying to New York (from LA), as well as house-hunting.

They are surprisingly normal, all things considered. And I admire them both for that.

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...