Monday, July 21, 2008

Three Teens and a Blender

So many blog topics, so little time. At least I have lots of posts ruminating in my head...just very little time to write.

I came home for lunch today - as I frequently do. I called home just before and talked to B. who asked 'is it OK for my friend S. to come over'? I said 'sure, I guess so - just remember you are working today at 3'. (I feel compelled to remind him - I shouldn't 'cuz he should stand on his own two feet, but I remind him. I'm a mom. I can't help it). So I get home minutes later and S. is already here, leading me to believe he was either pulling into the driveway during that call or already here and 'asking' was just an afterthought upon the realization that I would be home any minute. I think it was the latter. What do you think? [B. just positively confirmed that no, S. was not here but was in the housing development where my office is dropping off his brother, so he was also extremely close to our house but B. also said 'he was here about 10 minutes before you got here and since I left just after hanging up the phone, I'm not sure about his sense of time. Which is why I keep reminding him about when he has to go to work. See what I mean?].

Anyway, I get home to a huge whirring sound and find all three boys (my two and S.) blending Frappucino's using the new espresso maker as the 'base' for their concoction. Added milk and massive amounts of chocolate chips - and ice. They made me one and it wasn't bad. I suggested using powdered milk next time (which I always have on hand because in a pinch, I can mix up a quart of it, spoon off the 'foam' on the top and pour it into the milk carton - they never know the difference and it gets us through those times when we're short on time and short on milk. Which happens pretty frequently since we go through 3-4 gallons of milk a week around here) because it would add the 'milk' without the liquid - make them thicker. They were pretty good and we added whip cream. I tried to add maraschino cherries to mine (rationalizing that would count as a 'fruit') but none of us could get the jar opened. Darn. B. was trying to pour a glass of the frozen drink into a glass, over the dishwasher, which was opened with the top rack out - bad plan. Chocolate, chunky slushy stuff all over the clean dishes. Lovely. He then puts the blender pitcher on the 3 inch wide edge of the sink. Also a bad plan, which I was here to intercept. His friend said 'oh, that's a B. move'. It's known among friends that he does things that are not well thought out...and makes messes. A lot.

I left with B. outside, shooting his air soft gun at one of my flower planters (target practice, I guess)? and S. inside playing the piano. I commented to B. 'why are you outside alone and your friend is inside playing the piano alone? If he's here to visit and 'hang out' with you, why aren't the two of you at least in the same room?'. No response. I still don't know exactly why they weren't together - I mean, what's the point of having a friend over if you're going to be in completely separate locations during the visit. Is it a 'guy' thing? I don't get it. But I left 'cuz I had to get back to work.

The dishwasher did get unloaded and the re-dirtied dishes were rewashed and also put away. Dinner was a turkey breast roast, mashed potatoes (from REAL potatoes leftover from all my attempts at the SRB starter), fresh steamed squash (delicious)! H. helped me peel potatoes and clogged the sink - and then had a great time using our 'science experiment' method of unclogging the sink - baking soda and vinegar. It worked like a charm!

J. is helping H. with his summer project - which I'm grateful for 'cuz I don't have the patience for the lack of effort demonstrated up to this point. How much can we threaten and cajole and beg and plead? How much? I don't get it. I could probably never teach teens 'cuz I'd want to knock their blocks off for insolence, failing to live up to their potential, etc.

Oh, oh, OH....and I found out from H. while he was unclogging the sink - it's amazing the things that come up while your'e watching a volcano of white foam come up from your disposal - that he and B. had invited a NAVY RECRUITER into our home this afternoon to answer any questions they had on the Navy. OMG!!! And this is so crazy because I spent 40+ minutes talking to a coworker whose husband is returning from his THIRD tour in Iraq in two weeks and how he would be the first to advise any 'kids' thinking about entering the military to go to college FIRST and then join. If after 4+ years of school, you still feel inclined to join, then wait and if you still feel that's what you want to do, you'll enter officers training and be on a career path, which is the way to go. I can't BELIEVE they let a total stranger into this house. Even if the guy is in uniform. I'm so frickin' pissed off at the Navy - I can't believe they did that. Is it OK for them to come to the home of MINORS uninvited and give their spiel with no parent at home? Really. Is it? 'cuz it's really hacked me off.

That was my day. On the work front, it was a GOOD day - and that's not something I've said recently about work so I'm writing it down so I won't forget.

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...