Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Working

for a living....the song is running through my head, except the only part I can remember is '.....working for a livin' ' . Maybe the rest will come to me and if it does, it will likely arrive in my head at 3 in the morning...as so many other half thoughts do...so they can keep me awake the remainder of the night.

I have not been feeling all that well the past few days - and on Monday, I called my doctor to make an appointment...the earliest opening he had was this morning. So I slept in and avoided coffee - there's been blood work ordered since FEBRUARY that I hadn't done yet - and that's for a doctor that is IN TOWN. Thank goodness I'm no longer seeing my medical group in Danville. Anyway, I am having a variety of symptoms. This morning, it was pretty obvious I might have a bladder infection. Yep, that's it. So I ended up staying home for the day, picking up my prescription and sleeping part of the day. Just feeling 'under the weather'. Thankfully, it was a clear calendar day and it's summer and it's slow. I'm still catching up from being off...my "In Box" alone (the physical one with all the papers in it) took two full days to clear up. Yikes.

I will go in tomorrow 'cuz I have a meeting at 10. And I have tons to do to get started on year-end which is the next horrendously huge hurdle to cross in my work life. The week has gone well so far...and I'm not glad I'm back but it hasn't been too bad. Summer's are nice - fewer calls, fewer people.

B. went online and applied at SaveMart for a job - and the website said he'd hear in two weeks. Well, we just got a call and he has an interview there on Tuesday morning! Yeah! He's hoping to be able to work maybe 10-12 hours/week if he can manage that - and will use the funds to help pay the car expenses. With gas at $4.50/gallon, we need some help. We don't really need it - but it's important that he start pitching in and realize that holding down a job is a part of life. He had a one year 'free ride' and now it's time to start pitching in. I'm not expecting him to turn over his entire paycheck - anything he can pitch in will help - and it will help for him to have his own money to spend on things he wants to do or buy. That alone will help our budget.

Summer time is when it becomes painfully obvious that kids are expensive. They have been working in the yard, in the house, etc. to earn money to pay for their activities - but there's a lot of things they want to do or buy and they never have enough money. They each get an allowance every two weeks - and at the moment, they are both 'in debt' to us...so I decided that even though B.s' grades are far from 'stellar', he needs to go ahead and get a job. Show up, work hard, and hopefully manage his time well enough to hold it all together. We will see. It will be good for him to have a schedule to keep track of; a place he needs to show up at; etc. He's been playing golf almost everyday. And heading to the driving range in the evenings. AND playing with the band for 6-8 hours a day, 2-3 days each week. All fun summer activities...and all things he is motivated to do and enjoying. But it's time for the 'real world' of work. Work is going to be a part of his life from now on. He needs to help with college expenses and working will be a part of everyday.

It's hard to see his childhood 'over'. I realize that this is his last carefree, fun summer....but he doesn't. He's still jamming in as many fun things as possible. And I'm fine with that. But I'm really glad SaveMart appears to have openings and hope it works out. He'll realize soon enough that summer is over.

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...