Sunday, July 06, 2008

Farming

I paid for a one month membership in a co-op farm. The farm is in French Camp - about 17 minutes north on I-5. They call themselves 'Fresh Edibles' - www. freshedibles.org . There was an article in the Tracy Press about the farm and I signed up right away.

They make weekly deliveries to a health food store here in town - so for $22.50/week, we get a nice size box of just picked produce. If I sign up for a quarterly plan - weekly deliveries for three months - it's a bit less expensive. But I just did a trial month to see how we like it and to see if we'll use it all. The types of produce vary weekly - there's a newsletter that's included in your box telling you what you'll receive the next week, to help with meal planning. We'll get tomatoes, fresh lettuce, sweet corn, etc. in the box we'll pick up next Saturday. For the first week, I'm actually driving to the farm for a tour and to 'see' a real working farm. I can arrange to come out and work if I'd like, and I think I might do that once or twice a month. See if I can get the kids interested in going once in awhile.

I did it because it's one way to eat more veggies. And it's great that's it's a co-op farm - they are selling 'memberships' to keep the farm family owned. I'm really jazzed about the concept! and can't wait for the fresh veggies. I know they will be so much better than store bought because garden fresh veggies always are.

The backyard is looking so much different - the removal of 5 shrubs and the trimming of 2 huge trees made a big difference. Now, we'll do the measurements for the beds and order a couple to start - see how we do with those before we invest in putting beds in all the newly vacant places.

I've made some progress on a bunch of things EXCEPT the bag of work I brought home - so I'll be getting to that between dinner and bed, apparently. Hopefully. While I'd love to just hole up in my office tomorrow and go through that bag THEN, that's not going to work. It's a 'hit the ground running' kind of day 'cuz I have a fairly significant 'to do' list just from going through my emails.

I think I'll go take a dip in the pool. It's approaching 100 today - the warmest it's been in quite awhile. We'll be feeling it in our electric bill, for sure. Both units are cranking away - and while I know we've helped some by shading the units, there's still really no way to 'avoid' it - it's hot, and 84 upstairs is our limit.

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...