Monday, November 18, 2013

Sucks(tion)

That's a play on words sort of....'cuz it's Monday and that sucks.

And on a whim, we decided to get the carpets cleaned and they were able to come now.  Really.  They wanted to come Saturday (we called Friday early afternoon) but J. knew that the one day I was semi-home would be a bad day to have guys with huge, noisy equipment roaming around our home.  So it's today.

I feel so bad for J. 'cuz there's a crap-load of stuff to do around here before their 11AM arrival.

So it sucks that it's Monday but I feel a slightly (and somewhat guiltily) relieved that I get to escape to work.  It will all be worth it in the end - but oh my.  So much work.

B. called last night and said he thinks he can come home a week earlier than he planned...so we'll see.  Will be lovely to have him home for however long he can be home.  He's planning to take friends camping - in the winter.  I get the feeling that he's all gung-ho about it while his friends are less than.

I woke up with a start 'cuz I realized I have yet another huge thing 'due' soon so it's early to work for me today.  I blocked my entire week for my 'big report' and truly may close the door just to have quiet.  Working yesterday was lovely 'cuz it was so quiet.

I've tried three rounds of bread starter and still can't get it to 'foam and bubble'.  For the second time, I'm attempting to make a yeast-less bread when the house is clearly cold-ish and even with the mechanical proof box, it's hard.  It's also hard to judge 'lukewarm'.  You scald the milk and then let it cool to lukewarm.  Too cool and the bacterium in the corn meal won't multiply.  Too hot and you kill the bacterium.  It's like a mad science project in process.  I'm going to keep trying, though - but will wait until the weekend now 'cuz if by some miracle I get starter #1 to bloom, I need to be around for starter #2 (yes, this bread is torture - but worth it).

H. just came downstairs - he has a really bad cold.  I don't think it helps that he has a virtual 'apartment' in the backyard and he hangs out there more often than not.  Translation:  he's smoking (cigarettes) quite a bit and he can't do that in the house.  I think he thinks that if he stays sick enough, I will at some point relent and say 'OK, you can smoke in the house'.  But I won't.  Ever.  He gets pissy when I point out that his cough is likely more a result of smoking combined with cold weather - but it's the truth.  He's in for a long winter.

If we text him to ask 'where are you?', he answers 'The Steakhouse'.  Translation:  Outback. Get it?  LOL......

He said 'oh, are you taking a day off today'?  Huh?  I said 'no, it's 5:30AM - I'm going in early but not THAT early'.  


No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...