Sunday, November 03, 2013

Extra Time!

Feel like we've made such great use of the extra hour today!  Things we've done include:
  • Cleaned the refrigerator out quite a bit.  It's still jammed full but it's cleaner.  
    • We went to the UPS store yesterday to get some documents notarized [there are a lot of documents to sign and notarize when you are the spouse of someone retiring] and decided to run into Savemart to pick up some 1/2 and 1/2 for cream of potato/leek soup. They were having a $5 meat sale - packaged meats usually $6-9 on sale for $5 each.  So we stocked up on ground turkey, some pork ribs and thin sliced steaks....which filled up the fridge pretty darn quickly.  Hence the cleaning needed today 'cuz we can't fit milk in.
  • Made maple bread with cream cheese for breakfast.  I got the recipe of the Heartland Table show and holy cow!  it is sinfully delicious.  While it's sweet and satisfying, it really has only 1/4 c. of maple syrup and butter - so reasonably low sugar.
    • H. has suddenly taken an interest in things he's never known about - he found the 'real maple' syrup in the fridge and thinks it's 'amazing'.  And he ate most of the honey walnut prawns we had in our Chinese Food order for dinner last night.  He's never even considered eating prawns - but honey walnut are too delicious to resist, I guess.  
    • We bought more maple syrup (real) since we're sort of obsessed with the maple bread - but we're hiding it.  H. is on a waffle kick - three nights last week - and we're not upgrading his syrup to the real thing.  No way.  
    • Thanks to Nespresso for the Chinese dinner last night - I won a $50 gift card participating in their survey.  That Am Ex gift card combined with the $7.15 we got back from the title company from our mortgage closing paid for dinner last night - delicious!
  • I ground at least 2 pounds of coffee - restocking us for a couple weeks.  We store the freshly ground coffee in our air-tight, vacuum sealed coffee canisters.  It's something we don't do often 'cuz it's noisy - it will wake people up in the morning and/or makes the TV in the family room un-hearable - so I usually do it in batches when we're down to the dregs and nobody will be bothered by the noise.  This morning's leisurely multiple cups brought us to the brink of 'no coffee for morning'.  Hence the grinding marathon.
  • While coffee grinding, I tidied the kitchen.  Cleaning counters. Gathering up all the dish towels and (with J.'s help) got a load of towels going.  
  • Washed all the blankets that go on my bed - I just don't like putting them on the bed until I make sure they're clean.
  • My husband strongly encouraged me to go get a flu shot with him - so I did.  While there, I also got the shingles vaccine.  J.'s already had that vaccine - but I need it.  My brother-in-law B. had shingles recently and it was horrible for him - so I want to do whatever I can to prevent that malady from entering my life.
  • Went to our local liquor store (Pete's) to cash in lottery scratchers.  I'm superstitious and Pete's is 'my place'.  The brothers that own the place are super nice and while there is certainly a lot of diversity in their shop, I feel safe and comfortable.  I always cash in tickets for more tickets 'cuz I feel like I will win there, someday.  Here's hoping.
  • While at Pete's, I bought a six pack of Firestone DBA 'cuz it's Sunday and I want to unwind a bit before heading into another busy week.  It's delicious.  When I asked the guy at the liquor store if he had that beer, he directed me to a case where they have Firestone limited edition ales. They were close to $17 each (large bottle in a gift box) and while I didn't get that tonight (opted for the $7.99 six pack of just 'regular' DBA), I plan to go back and try the limited edition soon!
  • Went to Raley's for a few things - and was shocked and dismayed to hear "Little Drummer Boy" playing on the Muzak at the store.  Really?  It's just too soon for Christmas carols, even for me - and y'all know I'm a Christmas maniac.
  • Enjoyed hearing H. talk about his job.  He wears a headset with a mic and talks to the computer.  Her name is Jennifer.  Together, they put orders together on pallets - gathering and shrink wrapping as they go.  When the order is 'picked' and done, they then take it to a truck bay door to load on a truck.  It's all computerized and pretty darn amazing.  Jennifer knows exactly how long it should take H. to do every single step of the process - based on the products needed, the location of the products and the steps H. will have to take to complete the order.  He hit 50% productivity today - two weeks ahead of schedule.  And this week, two guys were walking by and said 'nice work'.  Then, one came back and asked H. for his name and said 'that's one of the best pallets I've ever seen'.  SCORE!  for H.  He loves doing this kind of work.  He worked 7 hours today (his longest shift yet) and he said the day just flew by.
  • It's approaching 6PM - it was getting dark at 4:30 (one bad thing about the time change) and I'm pleasantly full (OH - also got drip beef sandwiches in the crock pot earlier today) - delicious! Too many pepperocinis for me but the 'boys' loved them.  I had a lovely sandwich - I just skipped the au jus 'cuz it was too spicy for me.  I'm also a teeny bit pleasantly buzzed after two beers - so early to bed for me!
It's been a lovely weekend and even working yesterday was time well spent - productive and enjoyed the quiet and lack of interruptions.   

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...