Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Pre-Turkey

Haven't worked the Monday and Tuesday of Thanksgiving week in a long time.  Made it through, though - albeit not unscathed.  The cold is in my chest and this morning, I'm pretty sure it's a full blown sinus infection.  Dang it all to heck!  'Tis the season 'cuz everyone at work is sick with something.  I even got a flu shot and it's still knocking me for a loop.

But never fear!  Meals are planned (including Turkey Tettrazini and Turkey Pot Pie for leftovers) and J. and I are heading to WinCo shortly for supplies.  Then it will be a day of pie baking; sauce simmering; and general prep work for the big day tomorrow.  Even with it being just the three of us, it's still a special day!

J. and H. went to AmaLuna last night at AT&T park - I was decidedly under the weather and the 2.5 hour trip there and then back again combined with the cold and the show time itself was not something I thought I could weather.  They both seemed to enjoy it....so that's good. H. is off until Friday so he's enjoying some down time.  He and J. also went to San Leandro yesterday for lunch with J.'s brother.  I worked 1/2 day....so missed the lunch, too.

Today, H. discovered the joy of direct deposit!  He doesn't have to drive to Stockton to pick up his check 'cuz it was in his bank account when he woke up this morning!  After a gazillion jobs where we kept trying to get him to set it up, he finally did it.  No 'hold' on his account for a day or two - just the awesomeness of all funds available the morning of pay day! Progress!

Even with my head aching and nose snuffling, it's going to be a fun day!  I'm determined!  And I like cooking on days when I can just immerse myself in the process.

Turkey, stuffing, gravy, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes with marshmallows, green bean casserole and crescent rolls are the traditional menu and I'm not messing with tradition.  The pies will be berry (hopefully) and pumpkin.  My adventurous self wanted to attempt to make the pies from scratch - including the crusts - but my snuffly self is going to settle for store-bought.  Or frozen.  Eee gads.

It will all be delicious no matter what!

Happy Thanksgiving to family and friends near and far!

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...