Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Let There Be Bubbles!

I tried the Salt Rising Bread starter again last night.  This morning, it looked like it has before - sort of 'lumpy' cornmeal dumplings.  But I did see one lone 'bubble' at the edge.  J. confirmed it 'smelled'....I can't smell a thing these days.

I decided 'what the heck' - only risking wasting three cups of flour, some salt, baking soda and sugar with hot water to make Starter #2.  I combined the two starters in a glass mixing bowl, covered with plastic wrap and put it in the proof box set for 98 degrees.  J. and I headed out to grocery shop for tomorrow.

It worked!!  Starter #1 must have been 'active' 'cuz the combined starters are a bubbly, expanding bowl of gorgeousness!  I am so excited - I feel like running a victory lap around the neighborhood.

Letting it 'rise' a bit more - then it will be combined with more flour, soft butter and a little salt; kneaded in my stand mixer then put into loaf pans to rise again for another 4 or so hours.  Hoping we have two successful loaves of the most delicious bread in the world by dinner time this evening!!

Picture cartwheels.

No.  Don't do that.  No one deserves that visual.

I am just really excited!!  Yeast-less bread is not easy - but I think I'm close to being successful!!  I may bake our bread every week!


No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...