Tuesday, November 05, 2013

Saving Daylight?

Yesterday was the longest Monday in history.  No, nothing happened to make it so.  It was a good day - productive, meeting free.  I got a HUGE amount done and felt great about that - made up for not working on Sunday.  But the day dragged by.  Everyone in my office felt the same - we'd look at the clock and be hugely disappointed that it wasn't later since we thought it would be.  Maybe it's the time change?  It felt like forever and I left on the dot of an 8 hour day 'cuz it was that kind of day - watching the clock and waiting for it to be over.

Upon arriving home, I changed into workout clothes and J. and I went to the gym.  For him, this was his third workout of the day - he took his usual long morning walk; then a quicker walk with the dog right before I got home.  He accompanied me 'cuz neither of us have set foot in the gym (we've been paying for a membership forever - we actually joined when we first moved to Tracy 'cuz the kids went to a daycare program there for awhile and it was cheaper if we were members.  We stopped that for awhile when the 'Olympic size pool' they promised in their membership materials wasn't built after a few years.  Eventually, they did remodel - and we haven't been in since that remodel.  B. was going at least once a day when he lived here and H. still goes now and then..) since it was remodeled a few years ago and we wanted to take a tour together.

I wanted to try something like a 'tread climber' - rumored to be easier on your joints while still burning more calories than walking.  We did treadmill and tread climber for long enough for me to break out a sweat.  I made J. promise that he wouldn't comment on how long I did (or didn't) make it - 'cuz my goal was:  get there and move for as long as I felt like it.  So I did.  Tonight, I will bring ear buds so I can hook in to the audio and watch some TV while I workout.  Being less bored should help.  We are going to try to schedule time with a trainer to show us the machines, etc. .  There's a 29 minute 'circuit training' area with all kinds of machines and 29 minutes seems do-able.  Doing that and some aerobics every other day (at least) would do me a world of good.

I'm not too sore this morning and the only bad thing is that I woke up with a hugely bad raging headache.  I am dehydrated - not because of the work out.  I just didn't drink my usual one or two glasses of water in the evening and I am paying for that now.  Liquid in the form of coffee is helping a bit and I will remember to grab water before heading to the gym tonight.  That combined with drinking a glass of water with dinner tonight will help.

What motivated me suddenly?  I have no idea except to say that I saw an ad for the Tread Climber and looked at buying one online.  And I stopped myself 'cuz really?  We have practically an entire gym of 'stuff' in this house that is seldom used.  And we pay $100 for a gym membership that is used sporadically - so I'd rather start getting the value for the gym membership and not add more junk to the house.  The gym is about 5 minutes from our house so it's easy to get to.  And if I start running into too many people I know, there's another location we can go to that's 'down town'.  A little further but likely far less populated.  I don't want to cancel the gym 'cuz B. will go every single day he's home.  And H. was going pretty often and may start again.  In the mean time, it will be something J. and I can do together.  A sweaty date night a few times a week.  :-)

J. said he planned to be up at 6 this morning 'cuz he's playing golf.  Shortly after, he remembered that the cleaning crew comes today and he will need time to do his usual 'pick up; tidy up' before they get here.  He says 'I'll get up at 6'.  I said 'that's the same time you said you'd get up when you weren't remembering the cleaning crew was coming.  How will that work?'.  So he's up at 5:45.  I will help.  I got up at 4:45 this morning (earliest I've been up in ages) so I have time.

I hope today goes slightly more quickly than yesterday.  I have board prep to keep me busy and a couple meetings to break up the day.


No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...