Monday, January 17, 2011

Yowsa!

In an effort to prove composting is not for sissies, I seriously sliced the top of my left ring finger while chopping up some old tangerines to put in the compost bin. Typing is going to be a challenge for a few days as the tip of my ring finger heals. Wow, those new Cutco knives are incredibly sharp. And proof of just how dull are old knives were.....they cut through 10 stalks of celery like butter - so imagine what they do to a finger....it hurts. My paramedic trained son reminded me to keep pressure on it - extended pressure, not looking at it every couple seconds - so it's no longer gushing blood. Which is a good thing.

It's another cloudy, cold, wet, dreary day here in the Central Valley. Friday was absolutely beautiful - crystal clear and sunny - and of course, it was a work day. The entire 3 day weekend has been gloomy and cold. My nasturtiums froze again - as they did last year - and will not survive another freeze.

Christmas decorations are back up in the rafters. They were all 'put away' as long as you didn't look in the garage and see them scattered everywhere. They're back up on shelves, boxed and ready for next year.

J. leaves for North Carolina tomorrow for most of the week - and I have more night work meetings this week than in recent memory....so it will be a busy week. I've ensured a supply of 'easy' meals available for H. to fix and promised him I will OK eating out on us once (or twice, possibly). He now officially has his own debit card tied to his own bank account - and we keep reminding him that the purpose of setting up the account was to provide an easy way to fund allowances and lunch money. Also the added benefit of making what he spends money on easily track-able as well. He wanted to take his savings and head to the mall for clothes shopping - and we vetoed that. Reminding him that 'it's not savings if you view it as available' and that he also should save for Cancun. We're paying for the trip and condo but activities, etc. are on them as much as possible....so if they want to rent wave runners, they have to have their own $ for that. Same with para sailing, etc.

B. starts his final semester at Las Po this week. He also got the one class he needs to graduate at Modesto JC - so he is going to be very, VERY busy. One of his last classes is the math class he's repeated so many times, I've lost count - and he must pass with a "C" or better to graduate. That's a challenge for him. He's not good at math. So this semester will be a 'wait and see' semester as he juggles two schools, lots of units and his job....I keep reminding him that he won't have much time for sleeping or social things this semester. He says he knows that. I hope he does.

His last semester's grades came out this week - and once again, he got a "D" - which means this next semester is on him, not us. Which is a bit of a problem since he currently doesn't have enough funds to cover tuition and books - so the United Bank of Mom & Dad is making him a loan to cover tuition. He will be paying us back as quickly as possible. He was surprised at the "D" since he thought he'd done well on the final - but acknowledged to J. that he might have missed too many classes and that might have hurt his grade. Will he ever learn? So far, we've only had to pay for one semester - his first - and the rest has been on him. Seems there's always one class that he just blows off - and pays dearly. At $800+ per semester for tuition, books, etc. , he'd have a whole lot more $$ in the bank had he just worked a little harder....

I grocery shopped, pet store shopped and treated myself to Starbucks yesterday. Today, I'm not sure what I've planned - possibly working a bit this afternoon. Was praying for a clear, sunny skies to rationalize being outside - but no such luck. Given my meeting schedule this week, I should attempt to wedge in some work time to get 'ahead' a bit. Then again, I'm never ahead.....but it's a dream. I also have a gift card from a favorite store in the mall so I might head there and enjoy a little shopping. We'll see.

It's just past noon and there's still (at least) nine hours remaining in the weekend. No nap. No time for sleep today - whatever I'm doing, there's too much of it to do to spend time sleeping.

That, and I'm getting so old that if I nap, I won't sleep well tonight - and that's not a good thing.

I'm making Sunday dinner tonight - chicken fried steak and mashed potatoes. Hope there will be leftovers for Son #2 to eat for dinner tomorrow night since I won't be home.

Missing J. already....

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...