Monday, January 03, 2011

I Did It!

I actually made it on the treadmill for 15 minutes - at a 2.2 MPH pace most of the way. Now I know that's not much by any standard - but for me, it's HUGE. Just starting is a big step. Just actually getting myself out of bed and pulling on 'work out' clothes (long sleeve t-shirt, stretchy capri pants and running shoes) is a big step. Navigating the dog - who whined to go out the minute I came downstairs at FOUR AM, thus confirming that once again, someone put her to bed last night without taking her out for a 'final pee' - and the cat, who either snuck out when I was waiting for Chloe to 'find the place and pee already' or was out all night and only came back in when I heard the dog (after she'd come back inside from peeing) scratching frantically on the door. I opened it to let her out - glad she was ready to do her other business - and the cat stormed in. It's Grand Central Station around here in the early morning hours.

I worked up some actual SWEAT and feel great! Tonight, I'm going to have J. help me set up the Wii on the new TV so I can add some Wii Fitness to tomorrow's morning routine. Some treadmill time and other movement will be a great way to start the day.

I slept so-so...and as always, woke up around 3 - and because this is (sadly) a work day, I couldn't go back to sleep. Knowing the alarm is set to go off in...an hour and 15 minutes....an hour.....45 minutes....30 minutes.....until I finally just end up getting up. During breaks, I can just go back to sleep - easily. But work days are an entirely different mind set and that shows up so much in my sleeping patterns.

I'm going to have a productive, fun, busy work day. And I'm going to leave work after an 8 hour day (or by 4 at the latest) and try to do another 20 minutes or so on the treadmill. I didn't have my iPod with me so hopefully, I can use that this afternoon which will help with being tediously bored after only a couple minutes. Still, I trudged through it - creating rhythms with the pace of the treadmill and the 'pattern' of the winding tread.

It's a start. And starting is almost always the hardest part of anything. I felt instantly 'better' as soon as I put on my running shoes. The simple act of pulling on clothes intended for something other than sitting around drinking coffee was somehow motivating. And that little step got me to the next step of actually using the treadmill!

Have a great day - and I will most definitely be doing the same.

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...