Friday, January 21, 2011

Yahoo! It's Friday!

Busy, busy week behind me. Survived the week without J. and was so glad to hear him open the front door last night - he was home.

Crap always happens when he's gone - I know it's possible that just me feeling that way might be influencing things happening - but it's so true.

B. was in a car accident on Tuesday (or Wednesday - I honestly can't remember - the week's events are sort of a blurry haze of 'is it over yet?') which he described to me as a fender bender. He was clearly fine - sitting in front of me totally fine. In hindsight, I should have been better prepared for the reality when he asked me immediately upon my arrival home from work 'Have you talked to Dad recently?' Um, no....and his hesitation to tell me led me to say 'just spill it, B.'. He had a 'fender bender' on the freeway. He 'rear-ended someone'. I inquired about damage to the guy's car and he said there was some. And then he said 'mine's a bit worse'. So I headed outside to find the hood buckled up onto itself, barely remaining closed, one head light totally smashed and assorted other dents, etc. He said 'it was an accident. I have a bad habit of looking left and I did and then I looked ahead and slammed on my brakes but it was too late'.

I've barely spoken to him since. I know that's a totally immature reaction for a 50+ year old woman to have, but I'm so pissed off and fed up with him, I can't stand to talk to him. I get it was an accident - but he was not paying attention in stop and go traffic on a freeway, noticed it was slowing, must have been going far too fast for the traffic situation he was in - and then doesn't pay attention and looks away from straight ahead. And WHAMMO! Another accident.

They can fix the car, we think - though it's close to being considered totaled. I'm hoping it IS totaled and we can take the insurance check for OUR car that we've let him use and he can use his savings to buy some vehicle to get him to/from school this semester. Then he's going to enlist and he won't need a car. Why should we keep providing a vehicle to him that he smashes up? And the insurance - don't even get me started on that subject. He's going to be off our policy and be responsible for paying for that as well.

I have a case of 'we're making it far too easy for him to be a twit'. He owes us for his school tuition which he can't afford to pay us back for right now. And now he'll owe us for the $1,000 deductible - and I'm collecting that from him even if they hand us a check and tell us the car is totaled. They will pay us $1,000 less than the value and he has to make up that difference. And then get himself a car with his college savings - his money entirely, in his name - and he needs to use it to figure out how to pay to get himself to/from school until he enlists.

His birthday is day after tomorrow - he will be 20. Two decades old. I don't feel in the mood to celebrate with him - but we will go out to dinner. He wanted a party - but when we told him we wouldn't allow his non-21 year old friends (or him) to drink alcohol here, he decided he'd party with friends instead - spend the night somewhere. He is very, very careful about that - never drives home if he's partying. And yet, you wonder what other stupid, irresponsible stuff he does that we never find out about?

I know it's just a car...and just an 'accident'. They happen. But jeez Louise....why can't he pay attention and be careful?

The week was super busy and jammed with meetings, etc. It's been 12+ hour days every day and I'm ready to head up to bed and sleep for a really, really long time - and when I wake up, I'm going to go back to sleep...again and again.

I end way too many blog posts describing sleep.

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...