Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Stuff

I have a bunch of random things mulling around my brain...so here goes nothing...forgive me for so much miscellany at one time...it's just the way my days are going lately.

Budget: done. Still working on some details and triple/quadruple/quintuple checking everything. But it's done a few days ahead of when I thought it would be done...so that's a good thing. Still have memos to write, etc. for board meeting but it's looking like I won't be working all weekend again which will be a refreshing change.

Economy: Wow. Things around town are looking bleak. Went to the car dealership today to get my 10K service on the Mariner and the car lots on auto row look empty. The car dealership has cut back it's service hours considerably - just to reduce staffing costs, I assume. Their service bays were full and plenty of cars/trucks being serviced. But they are feeling the pinch like every other business in town and are cutting back costs wherever they can.

Then went to the pet store for cat food and the merchandise shelves are looking sparse. Scary. They are one of the few remaining open stores in this shopping complex and it's looking like they are not doing all that well either. It's one of two major-chain pet stores in town and if it closes, I'll be forced to shop at Petco which is further across town.

I did my part and bought a month's worth of cat food; however, I did switch to a brand that was 'on sale'. Hoping the cats will be OK. I don't like to 'brand hop' but I'm really watching our pennies these days and 1/2 what we usually pay was a good deal. So we'll hope it goes OK and they can eat the food. They are both felines of the 'sensitive stomach' variety.

I wanted sushi for dinner. Instead, we did the economical thing and ate leftover roasted chicken and macaroni and cheese. Plenty of food in the house - just requires cooking and some effort to decide what to eat.

B. officially matriculated last night [at least on paper] ...registered for 17 units. He was thrilled to discover that in college, you don't necessarily attend every day. As it stands now, he will be in school all day Tuesdays and Thursdays and have one 2.5 hour evening class on Wednesday nights. So he will have 4-day weekends every weekend, at least for the first semester. He realizes that he will be working those days and/or studying. But to a kid who's spent the last 13 years in school five days per week, 10 months of the year it's like the best thing ever! College...you can go to college and go to school only a few days a week. He's in heaven. He's also excited about his classes. We paid for the 17 units, plus his semester fees and it was $363 - what a BARGAIN. Books will be around $400....then gas, and food and supplies. But still, far less expensive than a 4 year college. And it will be a fantastic experience for him - it's fun to see him so excited. He seems motivated and interested and has even talked about taking some summer school classes next year to help finish his A.A. degree in Administrative Justice sooner. He couldn't get into his English class because it was totally full - but that's OK. He's got plenty of time to get that class done and there's always summer school.

I am taking a day off in a week or two so he and I can go to the bookstore together. I LOVE THE BOOKSTORE...love the smell of new books and buying supplies. And it's an excuse to go say 'hi' to friends...and share in a little of the college excitement even if he's not leaving home right now.

We have tomatoes aplenty and some bell peppers starting. I think I see a cucumber starting but I'm not convinced yet...we'll see. The zucchini's are not doing well. They are not in good soil and they're in the ground (vs. in pots or raised beds) and the slugs keep eating the blossoms before they can become veggies. H. is working on clearing out the flower beds so we can build some raised beds this summer. That's a big project and I don't know for sure we'll get there, but we're going to try.

Final payment on Cancun house is due next week and it appears we are going. I'm still 'nervous' about it - but it will be whatever it will be and it is a trip we are looking forward to and need. So off we go - passports arrived in the mail this week and last so we're all set. Just the packing and the cleaning and arranging for someone to take care of the cats and plants, etc.

This is the first evening in weeks I have not arrived home with laptop in tow. The first evening in weeks I was home shortly after 5. It's just after 7 and it's not dark yet....and I'm ready for sleep. But it's nice to feel like I can take it 'easy' for one night - still back at it early in the morning but nice to give myself permission to sleep...and write....and enjoy a quiet evening. Even better since the cleaning crew came today so I don't feel compelled to 'do' a bunch of stuff.

Heading upstairs shortly. Have time to read!!! Still working on Book 3 of the Twilight series....enjoying it as much as the first two but haven't had a lot of time to read the past month or so. I can get through several chapters hopefully - though sleep will overcome me shortly.

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...