Thursday, June 18, 2009

Splurges

I am off today - a splurge in itself. And off tomorrow as well. Two days off to recover from working 50-60+ hour weeks for the past month. Fried is a good description. I am tired. And it was/is showing. So rest is what I need and I took a couple days off to turn this weekend into a 4 day weekend.

There are tasks to accomplish, however...as there always are.

I took the boys to Pleasanton today - the trip necessitated by B. needing to go to Schwab and take care of converting his custodial account into his name (and his name only). The staff person there was so nice - and when he came out of his office to get B. to finish everything up, B. said 'Mom, are you coming with me?' And I smiled and said 'no, you're on your own with this. It's your money and your account'. The Schwab guy just smiled - having said to me upon our entrance in the building when I told him the purpose of our visit 'this is hard for parents sometimes'. I just smiled and nodded. It's his money now and he knows the intent is to use it for college. And so far, we made it through today without him cashing all the stock in and taking the cash and heading for Europe or something.

We transacted our business there very quickly and then headed to the mall just across the street. First, lunch at Cheesecake Factory - $90 but we had two gift cards (reward bonuses saved up from my Amex account) worth $80 so we got out of there for under $25 including a generous tip. Food terrific as usual...service great. We ate outside and shared good conversation. Interesting, my two sons. They are a pleasure much of the time - except when they're not.

Then to the mall. My 'popping in to' Sephora resulted in serious damage to our 'spend on what we need vs. what we want' budget method. I was (apparently) in the mood to treat myself and try some 'new' things. I just did a makeover on myself with all the "loot" and I look pretty darn good. Think I just might have found the powder foundation that I've been desperately trying to find - this is the 4th brand I've tried and I think this one is a keeper. We'll see how it lasts throughout the evening.

The boys did a little shopping of their own - shirts. Always shirts.

We were also going to head to LPC to buy B.'s books - but considering he announced as we were pulling into the restaurant parking lot for lunch 'you know, Mom, I might want to do what H. is planning to do'. I said 'you mean enlist in the Marines now instead of going to college first?' - 'cuz that's what H. is planning to do - no ifs, ands or buts about it - it is what he is doing. And now B. is considering the same thing. And strangely, when he said that, my reaction was 'well, if that's what you think is best, then that's fine - but you really need to think this through and decide B., 'cuz there's no point in buying books if you're not going in the fall.

During lunch (food has that effect on him - makes him thought-full) he said 'well, I think I'll go for one semester and see how it goes. And then if I want to, I can do another semester and finish a full year and THEN enlist'. I said 'ok, but I am a bit worried that if you have that in your mind as your 'fall back' plan, then you will not put in the effort needed in college to excel. You haven't had the best high school experience and we really don't want a repeat of that, especially when this is real money we're paying for you to attend, and commute, etc.' . So we're waiting a couple weeks to make the trip to the college for books. Which is altogether fine since we can't pick up his financial aid packet until July 1st anyway.

We have about 10 kids here at the moment listening to the band rehearse for their next big 'gig'. I'm honestly not sure why B. is involved since we are in Cancun the week of the gig and he's not playing. Yet, it's his drums being used and therefore, it's our house they are rehearsing in. So I'm feeding them hot dogs, baked beans, potato salad and iced tea for dinner.

H. is going to Lake Don Pedro with friends for the weekend. B. and J. are going to Poppy Ridge golf course for brunch and hitting some balls on Sunday AM - which suits me just fine. I will have some quiet time....and I'm fine with that.

OK - time to get cooking. On a good note, I seem to have been 'firm' enough with Chloe that she has stopped barking. Of course, she's looking at me like I've broken her heart...but the startling, constant 'I'm going to rip your head off' bark has got to stop. I don't mind the music - I just can't handle her going nutso every time someone comes in and out of the house. With 10 kids here, there's a lot of in and out going on....it's going to be a long couple hours.

I am going to bake brownies again and THIS TIME, I'm hiding some~~~~

2 comments:

DLB said...

Hey!! I came home from the lake late last night and I didn't have time to log onto computer. This morning at work I was mad because I forgot to check your blog this morning before I left home. Now I get home and find out you didn't even post anything. Bad Majah.

Majah said...

I know, I know....I'm 'behind'....I'll post weekend happenings soon (which will be boring to everyone but me but oh well).

Majah

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...