Monday, June 22, 2009

Quitting

I didn't post this weekend - which did not go unnoticed by my cousin (and long time reader!) D. . So yes, I'm 'behind' on posting. I really thought taking days off would lead to lots of time to write and read and sleep....and there was a little of all those things but as usual the four day 'extended' weekend I gave myself flew by with lightening-like bolts.

Many blogs that I read are taking a 'hiatus' this summer. So many 'regular' reads are quickly becoming a worthless bookmark on my bookmark tab. And I wonder 'why do they stop?'.

I've given thought to 'stopping' and then I remember why I started - for me. This is my online journal and I write because I like to write...and because I like to be able to go back and read what I've written months/years later. Helps on the fuzzy memory a bit. Amuses me slightly to re-recall things I've written months later. Sometimes, it's emotions that seemed so strong at the time - and after time has passed, upon re-reading, I think 'well, that's a post I should delete'. But I don't - because this blog is capturing moments in time - moments in my life - and my life continues, so the blog continues. At least that's what I tell myself.

But I do 'feel' sometimes that it's hard to write for an 'audience' - I know people do read. Some family. Some friends. And when I start to feel like I'm 'editing' for their benefit (or not), I think 'so why are your writing these days, really? 'Cuz it's not supposed to be about who's reading - it's supposed to be about who's writing'. I have to remind myself of that....and please, PLEASE don't mis-interpret this paragraph to be any indication that you shouldn't read - 'cuz I love that you do and I wish I knew all of you personally, since everyone feels like 'friends' in the blogosphere. At least in my blogosphere.

So I guess what I'm saying is this: I keep writing and I hope you will keep reading. Though sometimes, I wonder 'why'....and then I look at the list of bookmarks of blogs I 'follow' - and how I miss those 'voices' when they stop posting. I'm interested - and I want to know what's next...and hopefully, that's why people read here as well. 'Cuz as mundane and 'normal' as my life is, it's something to 'hold onto'. A friend out there waiting to hear from you...and you are waiting to hear from...so I oblige.

So here's an update on our weekend:

J. and I managed to go out on a 'date' on Friday night. We planned to do dinner and a movie...made it to the dinner part but then decided to go shopping instead. J. was in need of shorts and short-sleeved shirts and we were in Manteca so we went to the 'new' JC Penny and shopped. Imagine! A husband 'in the mood' to go shopping. We both were hugely successful and the prices were FANTASTIC - and then, there were COUPONS that made the deals even MORE fantastic. We were very successful....especially me 'cuz I didn't really need anything and yet I managed to find some really nice work outfits. I wore one today - black pants (petite and they fit PERFECTLY) and a cute top - the entire outfit for $30. YES, both pieces. It's really 'cute'. I feel like I look nice in it and that's half the battle. J. found shirts for work/play and shorts for our Mexico trip. We never did get to the movie but we had a nice time.

Saturday was full of.......not much apparently, since I can't remember...oh, wait....B. had a 'pool party' and we ended up with 8+ teens here for most of the afternoon. I went way overboard and ordered way too many chicken wings from Wingstop (if you haven't tried them, do - they are pretty darn good!). We tidied up the house quickly, including mopping the kitchen floor...which kind of made all of us 'nuts' since the cleaning crew comes tomorrow and we were cleaning three days before we PAY someone to clean. But I don't like a messy floor - and I most certainly do not allow 'guests' here when the floor could use a quick swipe with the 'steam mop'.

Two strange coincidences/oddities to report:

The boys worked on their rooms a bit - and 'lo and behold, J. came downstairs and said 'hey, I found two textbooks in H.'s room - did we have to pay for those at the end of the year?'. I couldn't remember. Found out the answer when I walked to the mailbox later that same day and we received a letter from the high school district advising us that H. owes TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY DOLLARS in fees for missing books and/or late fees. So now he's on the 'hunt' to locate the TWO OTHER books they show he never turned in - or he's going to have to pay that fine. And considering he has absolutely NO money (having drained his savings account already with summer stuff), he will be working that 'loan' off from us for a really long time this summer.

On another odd note: B. received a letter advising him that he qualifies for COBRA (the mandatory extension of health benefits at your own expense if you've been let go from an employer - with a lot more disclosures since the President's American Reinvestment and Recovery Act (ARRA) ). The letter indicates the 'date' of the triggering event was on April 30th for 'insufficient hours'. Leading me to surmise that he was possibly going to be let go - and then wasn't? Who knows? He's been working around 22 hours a week - up from his 'in school' 16. But they have him working the 'closing' shift - 8-12:30. Sometimes 4-12:30. So it doesn't make any sense....he did get transferred but that was in early March??? Is it possible to be fired from your job and never be told you've been fired and in the mean time, they keep scheduling you? His 'boss' is on a medical leave and has been for some time (he donated a kidney to his mom - which in my book, makes him pretty amazing. B. still thinks he's a complete and total jerk - but that's B. Everyone who gives B. any kind of 'feedback' is a jerk. Wouldn't you just love to have HIM for an employee, cousin D.??). I continue with a 'wait and see' attitude and frankly, won't be at all surprised if upon 'the boss' returning from medical leave, B. is let go. Sad...but possible. He will have a horrendously hard time finding a job now - summer jobs are already filled....and he will sorely miss the $$ (as will we - nice to not have to be constantly shelling out $$ for his social and other needs).

H. was camping all weekend with friends (so we weren't able to tell him about the book stuff until he arrived home last night). He came home tan, exhausted and hungry. Had a great time.

B. and J. enjoyed Poppy Ridge and a very nice buffet brunch. They had a great morning and so did I - it was quiet and relaxing.

We are trying something new to conserve electricity. It is not working too well this evening - as it's still close to 90 degrees outside and it's 7:30. But on Friday and Saturday evening, it was cooler outside than inside so we've been opening windows and letting the outside air do the cooling for us. It's been working though it's a lot to remember re: closing things up again in the AM and trying to ensure the kids don't 'forget' and leave the AC on AND all the windows open.
Can't wait to see if it's helped our electric bill any.

Coming soon: pictures of the 'garden' - bell peppers are going CRAZY and they double or triple in size each day. ...pics soon.

That's it for today - it was a nice weekend and though I did have to transact some 'business' on Friday morning (which made my boss mad - not that I had to talk to him about a couple things but that I had to deal with this stuff on my day off. Oh well. Can't be helped). But it was a nice long weekend. I'm hopefully off most of next week as well which will also be great! And then Mexico soon!

Thanks for reading and if you've never posted a comment, please do. I really do enjoy knowing who's reading...heck, I enjoy knowing that anyone is reading!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, we are reading. Keep writing. We would really miss it!

organize_crime said...

You know I'm always following this blog, but I'll add my two cents and say:

Keep it up. Your story is always amazing.

Majah said...

Thanks, Mr. O.C. . I love how you somehow 'landed' here and have stayed - thank you for that!

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...