Thursday, June 25, 2009

Bugs

I have new respect for farmers. I have a deeply 'in awe' respect for the farmers across the world who grow and produce fruit and veggies for consumption. I will never again look at produce perfectly presented in a store the same way ever again. I also now have a complete and total respect for the increased price for 'organic' foods. 'Cuz let me tell you, it is frickin' hard to get veggies to 'picking stage' that are not ruined by bugs.

Something is attacking the peppers. At first glance, the bugs look a lot like lady bugs. In fact, two days this week, when I saw one on the pepper leaves, I thought 'oh, that's so great - they know there are aphids around so they are helping me out'. It wasn't until one of the bell peppers started looking seriously 'bruised' that I looked a little closer and realized that 'ladybug-like' creature actually had 'pinchers' on it's mouth and was apparently slowly messing with my peppers! Little 'dents' in the flesh quickly became caverns that turn an ugly black/brown. If these peppers were for sale, I'd be doomed - but thankfully, they are just for 'personal consumption'. They look terrible but they will still be edible - at least after cutting away the black/brown spots.

The tomatoes are unaffected by this 'bug' so I'm now referring to the confusing, sneaky creature as 'the pepper bug'. I have no idea what it actually is....

It takes a lot of work to get all that beautifully 'perfect' produce into the store. And even more work to grow that produce 'organically' without pesticides. So far, I'm using 'plant soap' but sadly, it is not working. Stronger things may be required. I fear we will return from Mexico and have nothing left!

I will never visit a produce section in the grocery again without feeling a sense of 'wow'. It is really hard to 'farm' and have things turn out well enough to sell the products of your labor....

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...