Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Work From Home

Ever see those ads that say 'earn $3000 per week working from home'. Or recently 'Google pays me $3000 per week to work from home'. Or others? Ever wonder what those people are doing for the money?

I think I found out recently.

Yesterday, there was a comment on my blog that required 'moderation'. Unless you are a 'follower' of my blog, I get to 'review' and approve comments before they appear. I've never had anyone leave a comment before that I didn't 'know' or that wasn't already a blogspot blogger. It was odd. Out of the blue, there's a comment on my Laundry Mountain post done several months ago. And within that comment was a 'link' on the words 'drying stand'. Or 'laundry drying stand'. And if you went to that link, you were taken to a website selling wooden stands to dry clothes on. I also found her 'blog' which was a couple posts about laundry, with 'drying stand' or 'laundry drying' or 'wooden laundry drying stand' all linked to the same website. In two days of posts (that were a couple months old), she referenced 'laundry drying' dozens of times. She rhapsodized about saving money and how much space in the average home is unused and if you buy laundry drying stands, you can dry all your laundry in your house while your husband is at work - saves money, better for the environment, etc. She hasn't posted since April - just two posts....a contest to see how many times she could reference 'drying laundry' in the shortest time frame possible. No posts since those April posts.

She probably got PAID for me to go to that website. I didn't buy any of the stands - but I'm sure she made money for my 'click'. And if someone falls for it - thinks 'wow, this is the greatest thing ever invented' and actually buys one, she probably gets paid for that, too.

What a way to make a living. Spend all day searching the web for blog posts on laundry and then write a comment that links to a website offering your laundry-related product for sale.

I started to link to her blog, but I don't want to give her a lot of traffic. It's kind of brilliant in a way -

I'm as committed to our environment as the next person - more so, in many ways as my kids will tell you related to my fanatical recycling efforts; growing my own organic food; etc. However, I don't see us able to dry all our laundry in the house using laundry stands. Not going to happen. We already have laundry EVERYWHERE fairly often - and that's laundry that's been washed and folded and is ready to put away. I can't imagine weaving through dozens of 'laundry drying stands'...or the panic that would ensue when a teenager is looking for a particular item. 'Is it on the stand in the dining room? Or on one of the three stands in the family room? Why are my boxers in the kitchen while my pants are in the living room'? We don't need to add that level of complexity to laundry drying, thank you very much Ms. Mary Q. Contrarie. (yes, that's how she signed her comment).

Her profile says 'I am trying to discover the way to leave the earth a little better for my children'. Noble cause, that. Very noble.

I just think it takes more than air drying laundry all over your home - and spending days combing through blog posts finding references to laundry.

Keep an eye on the comments for this post 'cuz she might be back...

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...