Friday, June 05, 2009

Bouquets

Survived my 49th birthday yesterday - a day full of surprises.

J. and the boys sent me a beautiful bouquet - people get flowers for work at my office and so J. obliged my desire for something totally unnecessary but fun and a nice addition to my busy days. They are absolutely gorgeous - oranges and yellows and pinks, bright and cheery and 'artsy'. I love them.

We had our annual administrator lunch yesterday and I hadn't planned to go since I was buried in budget stuff and attempting to balance something for the umpteenth time. But I went - my friend came to get me and said 'come on, I'll drive - we're going'. The lunch was nice - it's the only time all administrators in the district sit down together for a meal and it's always a lot of fun. The lunch was Mexican food and my 'super burrito' was a foot long and 4 inches round. It was HUGE. I ate about 1/3 of it and brought the rest home for dinner. Made it through lunch and all the sudden, the jukebox starts playing a Mexican- sounding Happy Birthday. I look at my boss who is grinning from ear to ear and say 'Oh crap!' - which only cracked him up even more. They put a crazy hat on me and presented me with cake and whip cream complete with a '4' and a '9' candle. It was too funny. I hadn't said a word to anyone that it was my birthday but his assistant delivered my flowers to my building so perhaps she let the cat out of the bag. Anyway, it was funny. I would have eaten the entire piece of cake but no one else ordered any dessert. So I just ate a couple bites.

Today, I went to a workshop on budget in Sacramento. I carpooled with a friend from another district. About 1/2 way through the morning workshop, I said 'I just emailed my assistant to tell her that I think I'm heading home from here'. (My day started at 4AM with emails from home and I was at my desk by 6AM before heading out to meet my carpool friend). My friend says 'um, cool'. Something like that. After a break, she comes back and says 'ok, I don't want to spoil anything - but you have to go back to your office today because there's something waiting for you'. She refused to give any further hints.

So I did return - and in my office, right next to the flowers - was a cookie bouquet!! So cute - 4 flower shaped cookies in red, blue, yellow & green along with a white cookie that said 'Happy Birthday'. They are in a 'vase' and arranged in a bouquet. So fun. I immediately shared a cookie with my office (the cookies are as big as my hand) and we laughed because the blue frosting turned our tongues and teeth blue! Short lived, thank goodness.

It was great of my friends to surprise me and wonderful of J. and the boys ('my guys') to send me flowers. The boys also each gave me cash-moola towards my iPod Touch which I'm dutifully saving up for. It's not that I couldn't buy one whenever I want - I could. But it's satisfying to set a goal and see how long it takes me to 'find'/save up the money for it. The boys gave me $20 each - which I'm putting in my savings account. My sister and her hubby refused to take a check I sent for t-shirts they gave the boys at the races a couple weeks ago - so I put that 'found' money into the iPod account, too! Little by little, it will add up - and then I'll feel completely, totally great about buying it for myself. And J. said 'move some other money from our checking account into your iPod account and call it your birthday gift from me' - so already, I'm doing pretty well towards my goal. I don't need an iPod Touch, but I do want one - so I'm trying to show the kids that you work and save for the things you want....hard to teach. Hard to do in this age of 'have it now' lifestyle.

My sister also sent me a beautiful lavender potpourri which smells great and is so pretty!

It was a great day - and I'm now in the last year of my 40's. This time next year, I'll have to change the 'about me' profile to read '50+'. My current possible plans to celebrate that milestone include a trip to Disneyland....or Vegas...or a party bus up to Napa for wine tasting with friends and family....a year to plan. A year to enjoy the last of my 40's. They have been the happiest decade of my entire life and I'm positive my 50's will surely surpass them.

Weekend full of work looms. Budget due. Too much to do and not nearly enough time to do it. I will work 24/7 this weekend to get as far as possible on it before Monday morning arrives. There is much to finish up...

Thanks to all who made my 49th such a special occasion. It was lots of fun being surprised multiple times!

1 comment:

DLB said...

Happy Birthday Majah

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...