Sunday, November 30, 2008

Creativity

Here are pics of our Color Me Mine efforts - they turned out GREAT and the pictures don't do them justice! They are colorful and bright and look 'professionally done'. We had a terrific time doing them and plan to return there again over the winter break for another round. I love them all - and want J. to make another bowl for a candy dish for my desk at work.

First, H's gecko. The picture really doesn't show it adequately - the colors are superb - and our lighting for pictures is not - I wish you could see it in person. It's brilliant! I'm not a big fan of lizards, but I've commissioned him to make another one to hang in my office at work. I have a few 'empty' spots on the wall and his ceramic art would be perfect.


Here is J's bowl:




Two shots - one from the side and one of the inside. He printed a picture from the computer images they had to select from - but he free handed the entire thing. No tracing, nothing but his paintbrush and palette. He's pretty artistic, I think. This is the second ceramic bowl he's done and I think we're going to be making a bunch more. A set of dishes, perhaps?


And B's guitar pencil holder:





And finally, last but not least, my spoon rest and ring holder. I don't think they are great - but they turned out fine. It's amazing how different they look after the glazing process - the paint was all 'flat' and dull when it was done and it certainly didn't look 'pretty'. But after glazing, they look pretty good - and even I, the least artistic of the bunch, can't wait to try again.



The 'weird' look surrounding the spoon rest is the work of my trusty assistant who took the picture on his desk and had a bunch of stuff on the side of the pics - the edge of papers, pencils, etc. So instead of retaking the picture and re uploading (which he says requires him to reboot his computer every time - seems like a tech wizard like him ought to be able to figure it out) - but since I'm at his mercy when it comes to uploading pictures, I just have to believe him. So he used Photoshop to sort of 'mask out' the peripheral junk in the picture. I told him I most definitely would be adding a note about it, lest the readers think there was something gross all over the desk. There is not. Just my husband practicing his Photoshop cloning skills. They need work, I think. [Thanks, my sweet, for always helping me when I add photos to the blog. I think we need to get some better lighting - it's hard to get the true colors using the light we have in the study. Perhaps we should try taking the photos during daylight? Yeah, that would probably help, too - but I always seem to blog in the wee hours of the morning or the evening hours before retiring for the evening.

We are adding ceramics to our list of 'fun things to do together'. It was great and I can't wait to do some other stuff. When we were in the shop, there was a young lady there who had been making project after project with her mom - she was there by herself this time, making her mom a huge clock for the wall. It was so cool. The shop owner's dad (who is J's friend) said they can special order just about anything you can think of. I'm going to ask if the ceramics will hold up outside and maybe do some pots for the patio? Or have H. make a frog for Frog Corner or a hippo for Hippo Corner in the yard. That would be a lot of fun!

PS - we didn't really want text to be up in between the two last pics - but we can't figure out what to do to fix that. Oh well.

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...