Thursday, November 13, 2008

Temptation

I received my annual Indigo Wild (www.indigowild.com) catalog today - torture. Pure torture. I received a bar of their goat's milk soap last year for Christmas and that soap was such an acute pleasure. The smell, the feel of it. My skin started feeling like butter - and I have a really hard time keeping my skin non-leather like. That soap was awesome.

I so want to buy soap. Lots of soap. And I want to buy enough to qualify for the 'get a pound free' offer - but I am not doing it. I want to...but I'm not.

Maybe I'll curb my desire for a 'deal' and just order a couple bars? That would be probably OK, if I deduct that amount from our 'household' budget for the month. I mean, it's soap, right? I will use it (consume it) so it's sort of 'ok' (in terms of my self imposed spending moratorium). The only bad thing is: the shipping for a couple bars is darn expensive. But this stuff is worth it. Oh my gosh - this is GREAT soap. I know, I know...it's just soap. But this is all handmade, hand packed goat's milk soap and there's nothing like it - I've found no substitute for this amazing soap.

Our Costco AmEx bill was 1/2 what it was last month. The actual bill was the same BUT 1/2 of those expenses were 'trip to Phoenix' expenses that's coming out of savings. So our effort at limiting our purchases and spending carefully worked. At least so far.

And we had a surprise groom's shower for a coworker today. I stuck to my budget - wanted to pitch in more and buy more, but didn't. And when my coworkers paid me back for the group gift that I shopped for last week, I tucked the money in a separate section of my wallet so I can deposit it to cover the bill when it arrives. Vs. just putting the cash in my wallet and then spending it.

Tomorrow is the last football game of the season. It's been tremendous fun but I am so glad it's over for another year. Never one to embrace commitments of my time, it's been a hard transition to commit many Friday evenings (and it's FRIDAY - always FRIDAY - when I most want to come home and just crash after what are always long, busy weeks) but I've done it. Tomorrow, I will show up at 4 and stay until J. gets there - and then I'm heading home. At least that's the plan. B. wants to have a lot of friends over for an evening of hot tub and movies - and adult supervision is a required element for that get together to happen. (B. doesn't really see why that's necessary - but it's a 'co-ed' get together - and a hot tub. No way that's happening without an adult around). So I'll come home. Granted, I should work at the snack bar. But J. will be there (thanks, my sweet! The group LOVES you and are begging me to get you to join officially) and I have been very 'involved' - and last week, we had so much help, there were often times I stood around not knowing what to do. It's a fairly small space - and once you leave your post to take a break, you often have nothing to do when you return...so I don't feel bad about it.

The weekend plan includes a little work and hopefully church. We need to drop off our Operation Christmas Child boxes no later than Sunday - so we'll attend church and drop them off. And I hope to get at least one nap in.

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...