Friday, November 28, 2008

Cold

The thermostat says it's 69 in here. It feels far colder - but I won't turn on the heat since the temp says it's above 68. Made myself a chai tea instead...extra hot and with whip cream! Don't usually have that in the house but post-Thanksgiving feast, we still have a bit in the fridge.

Just me and Chloe this afternoon. J. and boys went to Hayward for their second Thanksgiving feast. Took the Wii and the poker set with them - won't be returning until late this evening. I'm watching my DVD's of McMillan and Wife.

Last night was an 'old movie' wonder night - Yours, Mine & Ours, With Six You Get Eggrolls and Please Don't Eat the Daisies - three of my favorites! Taped them all so I can watch them over and over again. It was a nice evening of movies and leftovers.

J. helped clean up this morning - reloaded the dishwasher for the second (or possibly third?) time - and in the process, sliced his thumb open. I'm pretty sure we should have considered having it stitched - it was still bleeding a couple hours after the initial cut. But we had company coming - so he just kept pressure on it and used a band aid to keep it clean. I think he'll live.

The company we were expecting around 10ish didn't arrive until after 11. No problem. However, they arrived hungry - and we were not prepared to serve lunch. Most of the leftovers were all packed up to transport to Hayward for their dinner - and we didn't have enough bread to make sandwiches for everyone. So they ended up stopping for fast food on the way out of town - not money I really wanted to spend but not realizing we would be serving lunch led to not having anything really available to eat. Sort of bugs me - I try really hard to be a good hostess - but in this case, I offered some chips to stave off the kids hunger pangs and figured they'd eat on their way out of town. That's the thing about my husband's family - the communication isn't great. They arrive early. Or they arrive late. We never really know what to expect, nor what the plan is. And they sort of assume that we will end up feeding them regardless of when they get here - which I wouldn't mind if my husband would let me know that's the plan. Had we known what the plan was, we could have prepared brunch - or lunch. But not knowing means there wasn't anything ready to fix. We could have cooked pizzas but that would have taken 30 minutes or more. Again - do-able, had we known lunch was expected. It's all in the planning - and there's none of that with these folks. Makes me crazy. 19 years of crazy.

The weather is dreary. I'm not shopping today - none of the 'early-bird' specials were worth getting up at the crack of dawn for. Just hanging out at home, trying to stay warm. Pulling out my work laptop momentarily to start working on my report. Procrastination is the hardest thing to shake - trying so hard to do a little each day vs. pulling off some incredibly long, marathon days this coming week to get it done.

Hope your Thanksgiving was a good one - and I hope you are enjoying leftovers today! Especially pie! Pie for breakfast, lunch and dinner!

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...