Sunday, November 09, 2008

Barack

This email was in my 'in' box on Tuesday evening. The subject line read: How This Happened:


'Majah' --

I'm about to head to Grant Park to talk to everyone gathered there, but I wanted to write to you first.

We just made history.

And I don't want you to forget how we did it.

You made history every single day during this campaign -- every day you knocked on doors, made a donation, or talked to your family, friends, and neighbors about why you believe it's time for change.

I want to thank all of you who gave your time, talent, and passion to this campaign.

We have a lot of work to do to get our country back on track, and I'll be in touch soon about what comes next.

But I want to be very clear about one thing...

All of this happened because of you.

Thank you,

Barack


I don't know for sure when he wrote this - or even if he actually wrote it. But I sure feel like he did. We're one of the millions of people and families who made donations to his campaign - $50-$100 as many times as we could manage that amount in the monthly budget. Little by little, we all helped him raise millions of dollars. And we all supported him and believed in him. And he won. I am so incredibly happy about that.

I am thrilled with the outcome of the election. The next morning, the comments in my office (all Republicans and most definitely not Obama supporters) reminded me just how divided this country still is. The comments shocked me - the bordered on racism and fanaticism. I was shocked. Seriously taken aback. I can't believe that educated people still think the way these people think. I just can't get over it - and I shared some of the comments with a coworker who was equally stunned. No matter what you think about the party the President-elect is affiliated with, it was a monumentally historic event. And yes, people of all races are feeling the joy of that moment. NOT because they expect to 'get' anything as a result....but because it wasn't all that long ago in our country when what happened Tuesday night would NEVER have happened. That is surely something to celebrate.

We are a country divided, still. But we have to move forward. Those of us who just 'won' in this election are the same people who have lost for the last eight years. We have bitten our tongues, made the best of things and done all we can do to support our current President - not because we wanted to, but because we have to. We live in this country and while the majority of the country doesn't think our current President has done a terrific job, we waited it out.

Now, it's your turn. And I can promise you - this President will do a far better job than our current President. He is incredibly smart - thinks on his feet - and loves this country more than any President I've ever voted for. I believe he will make a tremendous impact on moving this country forward. And I pray he will do that for the next EIGHT years.

I'm so glad he won 'cuz I really didn't think I'd be a very good Canadian. And if the other guy had won, I was pretty sure moving was my only option. I couldn't do another 8 years of the current President's alter-ego. Now, I won't have to!

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...