Sunday, November 02, 2008

Daylight

Making good use of the extra hour....we are getting ready to go to church. B. and J. are already there - playing at both contemporary services this morning. And H. will be the AV guy at the 11AM service - so he and I are getting ready to go - allowing plenty of time for our traditional Sunday stop at you-know-where.

Enjoyed lunch with my friend N. yesterday in Livermore. The restaurant we were meeting at didn't open until noon - so we headed to Pete's Coffee (I've never been in a Pete's before) to wait until it opened. Enjoyed iced tea and coffee (thanks, N!). It was sprinkling a little. Then it stopped. And wouldn't you know, just as we headed the two blocks back to the restaurant, the skies opened up and drenched us! We were soaked. I had to use napkins to dry my hair enough to stop the dripping! I looked like I'd just gotten out of the shower. We were cracking up - especially because N. had worn FLIP FLOPS! She was getting a pedicure later so she wore the most 'open' shoes she owns. It was too funny - I'm sure the folks in cars and in the restaurant got a good laugh at our expense.

Lunch was great and fun and a real treat! We don't get together nearly as much as we'd like to - but we're going to try to commit to a once-a-month Saturday lunch.

I resisted the urge to stop at the Mervyn's in Livermore - knowing that I would likely buy things at the drastically reduced prices - but realizing that we really don't need anything. We may head out later today to Brentwood/Antioch and if we do, we'll stop at that store - it's more 'open' and less chaotic. But we honestly can live without anything we might find on sale...so I'm trying to avoid shopping. The only reason for going to Brentwood is to return a couple things at the new jjill store.

We've had rain here over the weekend - love the air feeling so fresh and clean. Dislike the state of my car - covered in 'mud'. It desperately needs a wash but I abstain from running it through when more rain is expected. It hasn't been washed in a month and the trip to Phoenix has left it's mark. It's in need of a good cleaning - but I'll wait for this storm to pass before running it through the Chevron wash. I can hopefully persuade J. to do it for me, since I really don't like sitting in the car while the machine does it's thing. I feel 'dizzy' with the sense that I'm moving, when I'm not. And I have an unnatural fear that I'm going to end up 'stuck' in there. Can I get my cell phone to work? Who do I call? The police? My family? The Chevron station? I just don't like the experience at all and would rather skip it.

Christmas is looming. I am lost on what to get for the kids. Cash is looking like the best option. We MUST stick to a budget this year...and that's going to really be hard...since everything they want is hugely expensive. I have a couple little things in mind for each of them - and will hopefully come up with a few more between now and Thanksgiving.

Our turkey plans are sort of up in the air at this point. We found out last night that J's younger brother and his wife are splitting up. It's sad - not all that surprising...it's been coming for a long time. But it's still sad that it's now reality. So we're not sure what we're doing...the kids and I are off the entire week this year - SO COOL - and I'm reluctant to spend my week's 'vacation' hosting out of town visitors. We're negotiating options....and everything changed - yet again - last night. Damn - I wish we could afford to get out of town for the week. Eliminates the entire discussion.

I have a sleeping dog on my lap....it's cold and she wants warmth. She curves her long body against my stomach; trying to eke out as much warmth as she possibly can. She'll be in her kennel soon, burrowing in her cave...missing us while we're at church. She had an exhausting night on Friday, barking at the trick-or-treaters at the door. Wore her out!

Happy November. VOTE! Change is in the air!!

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...