Monday, November 24, 2008

Color

We spent this afternoon visiting Color Me Mine in Tracy. We went primarily because a long time friend of J's daughter is the owner of the franchise and the friend (one of J's band mates from long ago) was helping his daughter out by working there this afternoon. The place was very crowded and busy - not really conducive to visiting. But we all selected items and sat down and started painting. We had a fun time. B. did a guitar shaped pencil holder. H. painted a Gecko. I did a spoon rest ('cuz you can never have too many especially in a house with boys where more spoon rests have lost their lives than I can count) and a ring holder (I've been baking and need a safe place to put my rings so I don't get dough in them). J. did a fantastic deep bowl - it's going to be so pretty. They were all really cool looking and will be even better once they're put in the kiln. Can't wait to pick them up. I will try to post pics of our creations later this week. It was the first relatively pleasant time we've had as a family in a long time.

I worked a bit today and will return to work tomorrow. J. is taking the boys and one friend each to the big auto show in San Francisco tomorrow. The cleaning crew is here tomorrow also, so that's a great reason for me to vacate the premises. I'll continue working on the big report that's due to the Board on the 9th and also work on culling out some files, etc. I've made significant progress on getting rid of old stuff, tidying up desk drawers, etc.

We still have a bit of grocery shopping to finish - J. will help me with that on Wednesday. We'll try to get up and get there early before the place gets totally mobbed.

The location of my former company where I worked for a decade (before I took the college job) is closing. 1,200 people are losing their jobs - some of whom are good friends. I feel sad for them - change is never easy and certainly, losing your job in this economy, and during the holiday season SUCKS. I feel kind of 'glad' that I left when I did - I'm seven years ahead of where they are now. And I've moved into a more stable industry - the budget for education is unstable - but there are always kids who need education and there is always a need for a business person to manage the money, do the reports, etc. So I feel good about being 'safe'. Though we will not receive any raise for the foreseeable future, it could be worse. Much worse. I'm thankful for the stability a 'public' job offers.

My friend J. sent me an email last week about a concert in Modesto - Michael W. Smith! And we actually got two tickets - so Dec. 17th, she and I will be sharing a(nother) faith-filled evening. Can't wait. We were so lucky - she heard about the concert on the radio that morning and we quickly went to the website and got two balcony seats! (We don't like being on the floor 'cuz people tend to stand up the entire time and we don't want to do that).

I have a sleeping dog on my lap - she's all wrapped up in a blankie 'cuz it's chilly and her human mommy is too thrifty to turn the furnace on! She's liking being cuddly, I think. I'll be having a hot flash any minute and consequently, will likely be wishing she would take her hot, blanket-wrapped body somewhere else.

I'm getting old....getting old. So obviously getting old.

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...