Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Panic

Dressed, showered and heading out the door momentarily - it's just after 6AM. I had one last 'panic' item on my list of panic items - this one a biggie.

We are attending a black tie formal wedding this weekend. J. rented a tux, which tells you the significance of the event 'cuz while he looks smashing in a tux (and I'll be pondering illicit activities all evening at the sight of him in one), we are not 'formal wear' people. He rented a tux, which is what guys do. Alterations, fittings, shoes, etc. are all taken care of in one nice stop. He asked the store (there's only a couple small places in town where a guy can rent a tux and this place isn't a 'formal wear' shop, it's a 'men's wear' shop) if they did alterations of ladies clothing and the clerk advised him, no, but such and such place does, but gee, your wife had better hurry. You think? So guys just go in, get fitted and viola! they are formalized - just like that.

Not true for us ladies. I have two dresses hanging on the door frame of the guest room upstairs. I ordered two sizes to be safe. And one fits, and looks pretty - but alterations are required because I'm a 'low of stature' person and these dresses are cut for basketball playing women, apparently. And since I've worked 26 of the last 28 calendar days, I haven't had a lot of time to get alterations taken care of - and it's not something 'quick' when it's a floor length gown and they'll have to detach the waist to shorten the hem. Yikes.

I have had a fair amount of panic these past few days as I realize the date is HERE and I have NOTHING to wear. So I just did some additional online shopping, found a suitable floor length gown with a suitable 'jacket' and ordered it in my size, 'petite'. And paid $55 shipping to get it here by Friday. I'm desperate. That desperate. I ordered a clutch handbag in two colors (in case I figure out how to wear the first dress, which is a mocha color) and a 'shaping' undergarment to tuck in all my mushy pieces. I'll have to get hose and shoes on Saturday - the website sold pantyhose in packs of 3 and since I NEVER wear hose, I'm not buying 3 pairs when I only need one. I don't even need a spare 'cuz it's a long gown and I could be wearing long underwear underneath and no one would know.

I tried to weasel out of going. There was whining, yes, I admit it. I am tired and exhausted and getting all dolled up and driving a significant distance in clothes I won't say I'll be comfortable in on a 3-day weekend (and I do hope to actually take a day or two off this weekend, God willing) isn't something I'm relishing. But my sweet love said 'honey, I really want my coworkers, boss, etc. to meet you and get to know you. I want to show you off'. So how can a girl not go when her guy is asking so sweetly?

I hope this mad dash package gets here in time ....and that it's an 'OK' dress. And it's a 'mother of the bride' kind of look so I could, theoretically, even wear it again someday at my son's wedding. Possibly. And we do have another evening wedding coming up (Hi, Bug!) so I might even wear it again next month. Maybe I should have ordered the 3 pack of hose.

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...