Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Jinx

I'm almost afraid to say this. But I will. H. made it past 'first cuts' for the freshman football team. There are still two more 'cuts' to go - they need to be down 10 players by this time next week. If they have kids drop out (when the tackling, wearing 20 lbs. of pads and helmet with heat, heat, HEAT, etc. becomes reality), then they won't have to do additional cuts. We are cautiously optimistic. H. got his pads and uniform today. J.'s heating up water to fit the mouthpiece and H. is trying on his pads, etc. in the living room. It's a bit strange to see my 'sweet' boy decked out in his gear. We are so incredibly proud of him - he's wanted this for a really long time (since 5th grade) and he set his mind to it and made it happen. He's come home this week bone tired - exhausted. But he's enjoying playing and is glad to (hopefully) be a member of the THS Freshman Football Team - an official Bulldog! GO THS! He said last night (after he'd found out he'd made it past first cuts and was 'on the team') 'even if I end up not making it through the next two cuts, I'm still really proud of myself for trying and making it this far'. It has been a HUGE effort on his part - practicing most evenings during the summer, attending a skills camp for a week. He's really worked for it and he has every reason to be proud. And I'm pretty confident he won't be cut. He's good at catching and he's really motivated and that's 1/2 the battle. He's playing wide receiver.

The first three days of school have been a bit harried. Turned out I had a late meeting last night and J. ended up being recruited to play at church again this weekend, so he had rehearsal last night. The house looked a bit neglected. I've been coming home for lunch but only for 1/2 hour - just enough time to let the dogs out and grab something quick. Not enough time to do any picking up, etc. But we'll catch up soon. I hope.

My school district started school yesterday. It's fun to have the kids back on the playground. Watching them do PE and enjoy recess. The summer flew by but I do know I missed the kids. They're the reason I'm doing my job and it's nice to have that reminder back.

We have a preschool on our site and those kids were there all summer. They are a hoot. I saw a little boy earlier this week carrying his blanket to the playground - and immediately flashed on B. at that age, with his 'magic hanky'. B. had a very, VERY hard time transitioning from a home daycare to a preschool. He pretty much freaked out every morning...and unlike most kids who are quickly 'fine' once the parent leaves, B. would periodically freak out throughout the day. So I wanted to give him a way to have us 'near' him. I took white cotton hankies and used fabric paint and stencils. I painted teddy bears and hearts and smiles. He'd have one tucked in his pocket and the teachers said whenever he'd get a bit 'worried' or stressed, he'd reach in his pocket and grab his hanky. And it seemed to help. B. eventually outgrew the need for that 'touchstone' - he stopped wanting me to 'present' it to him when I dropped him off - and he moved on to becoming a 'leader', which he still is today. When I saw the little boy with his blanky, I remember B. and thought 'that's good. You keep what you need near you and when you're ready, you can let it go'. Like B. They eventually find their own way. Little by little.

My youngest is on his way, too. With massive amounts of protective gear. And a mom who will be proudly freaking out in the stands every Thursday night for the next 10 weeks. Maybe I need to make myself a hanky for my pocket. Or a blindfold. Possibly both?

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...