Monday, August 27, 2007

Behind the Scenes

A quick post before heading to work - it's not even 6 yet. Much to do, much to do.

There are many things I do around here that are behind the scenes. I consider myself a sort of 'good fairy' who goes around looking for things that need doing and takes care of them. There's always toilet paper on the holder and plenty of back stock in various bathroom cupboards and the garage. The small, teeny bits of soap magically disappear and a new, fresh bar of soap appears in their place. Shampoos, conditioners always at the ready.

This morning, I noticed the boy's shampoo and conditioner was running low. No problem, I thought. I'll just swap them out for the two refills under the sink (which I'd noticed earlier this week while searching for body lotion). Only, apparently the last time I refilled their conditioner, I'd done the same thing I thought I'd do this morning: just replace the almost empty with the full and I'd rinse out and transfer the remaining conditioner from the old to the new bottle later 'when I have time'. SO what I really had were two, old, not all that full bottles. I combined them. I'm frugal that way. And the shampoo refill was a giant, impossible to manage in the shower with slippery hands flip-top version, which I judiciously poured into the pump container. So that's done. I'm careful about keeping shampoo and conditioner stocked and ready 'cuz if I don't, they'll resort to one of two options: using Mom's really expensive shampoo and conditioner or not using anything at all. Neither a good choice.

Like most things we buy for the care and feeding of the boys, everything is jumbo size. Toilet paper is bought in massive quantities at Costco, as are bath soap, shampoo, conditioner, deodorants, lotions, toothpaste, etc. I'm never really convinced Costco's prices are better than Target - but at least it's done, all at once and we never run out.

I like doing the 'little' things that they probably never notice. Someday, they will. Someday, they'll be in a dorm or their apartment and realize they have no toilet paper anywhere or no shampoo. And they'll think 'why didn't this ever happen when I lived at home?' And they'll realize 'it was Mom. That's why'. And they'll smile. As they're swearing about there being no toilet paper. And they'll start learning to take care of 'behind the scenes' stuff themselves. I hope.

1 comment:

Jim said...

They won't have any clean clothes, either. :-)

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...