Friday, August 17, 2007

Bruised

H. arrived home from his first full practice an hour later than usual. It apparently takes quite awhile to take all that gear off and hang it up.

His only request was 'could I please have a some money above the $20 lunch money so I can buy some cold water before practice? They have a drinking fountain but it doesn't flow very fast and it's warm water. I'd really appreciate it. I only have $2 left for tomorrow because I've used lunch money for water before practice'. I resisted the urge to correct him to 'may I please' and said 'of course' and handed him $5 and will give him more money for next week. It's only 10 weeks. The kid's got to be hydrated 'cuz he's losing body fluids. Including blood.

He has a cut/scrape (with blood showing) on his right upper arm from some guy's face plate. Various other scrapes and bruises. He shows them to J. matter of factly. While I sit across from them, with my back to them thinking 'oh my gosh - this was a PRACTICE - they are ON THE SAME TEAM, NOT EVEN COMPETING YET. What will he look like when it's the arch-rival team staring him down and smashing him to the ground? '

I shudder to think of it. And feel strangely proud at how happy he is to be battered and bruised. The kid's tough. Insane to voluntarily choose to be 'hurt'. But he's tough as nails and loves the game. And I secretly can't wait for the first kickoff. I'm going to be screaming my head off. And praying a lot. And I'm already planning my 'first aid' kit for my purse - bandaids, antiseptic wipes, a couple 'instant' cold packs, ibuprofen, etc. I'll be prepared for anything.

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...